View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Captain Crispy
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Re: 1982 20' Mako Center Console

I have been looking for an older 20-23 ft Mako Center console. Every boat will sell when the right buyer and the right price come along. It might be a good idea to check out some of the other similar boats on here and compare those boats to yours regarding price, features, size, etc. For example, there is another guy on here listing an early 1990's Robalo center console, 21 ft, with a T-top, lots of electronics, fitted cover, newer aluminum trailer, kicker motor, and more. His boat appears turnkey and it is listed at $12K. So for $5100 more than yours [not counting the flxibility in price for your boat or his], a buyer could get a heck of a lot more boat than yours, and his boat is also in South Carolina. I know your thinking "yeah, but his is more than $5000 more," but considering what you get for that $5K and what your boat is going to need SOON, the $5K is well worth it.
I have listed my my analysis of your boat as a potential buyer, along with some suggestions on how to deal with the issues noted.

Just suggestions, not trying to start anything, BUT:

1) I see lots of rust on an old galvanized trailer; as a buyer i am thinking that I will either need to buy a new trailer soon, OR put a fair amount of money and work in the current trailer. In the long run, I think buying the new trailer is a better option, so that is another $2500 I would have to spend.

2) That outboard is simple and bulletproof, but it is also pushing 20 years old. No matter how good the compression may be today, as a buyer I am thinking about having to repower in the not-too-distant future. If I repower with a recent model used Evinrude or Johnson of 175 hp or more, hopefully with some kind of warranty, I would likely have to spend about $5000 or more, assuming that your rigging is compatible with a 2000 or newer Johnson/Evinrude. If I repower with something other than Johnson/Evinrude, then the repower would cost another grand or so for re-rigging.

3) That is a great hull, but it was designed with 2 stroke weight, not four stroke. As you may have seen from 1 or 2 postings on this board, the 4 strokes are the wave of the future. I do not necessarily agree with that [please, no ETEC battles], but if I repower, i would have to use a 2 stroke, and that will hurt my resale value 1 or 10 years down the road.

4) 26 year old hull !! I have 29 year old 25 ft hardtop express cruiser [which is for sale, by the way, $12K with aluminum trailer], but it was overhauled/restored/refabbed a few years ago. The same make/model boats are going for $4000-6000, but they look nowhere near as nice as mine. When I sell mine, I will get a great price for it, but that is because the hull and mechanicals suffered a large injection of MONEY.
Any potential buyer of your 26 year old Mako will have to consider all the known/obvious problems and the cost of correction; but more important is the things which are unknown about your boat. I have been lurking on the classic mako site for a while, and it appears that these boats [and probably most other 20-plus year old boats] have issues with water-soaked foam around the fuel tank, for example. And then there are the obvious potential transome issues on any boat of that age.

SOLUTIONS

1) TRAILER- Replace the rusted hardware- U-bolts, shackles, etc. Don't put a new trailer under it, you wouldn't get back from the sale the cost [and hassle] of a new trailer.

2) Motor- Clean the engine and housing, put a nice coat of wax on it, and make it as pretty as possible. Gather every scrap of maintenance records you can find to show the engine was maintained. Get a real compression test done from a qualified marine mechanic who will give you something in writing. While you are at it, get him to do a leak-down test on it [i think that is what it is called]. On a 2 stroke, it is almost ias important to have good leaK-down pressure as it is to have good compression. This test measures the amount of vacuum in the cylinder on the intake stroke [I think].
You are basically trying to build the value of a 19 year old motor as much as possible.

3) 2 stroke v. 4 stroke- nothing you could economically do about that, but you could research engine weights [nadaguides.com] and try to show a buyer some potential 4 stroke engines that are not significantly heavier than a comparable horsepower 2 stroke. Frankly, I think you should just stay away from this unless the buyer says something first.

4) Hull issues- Dig around every where you can, remove access plates, get up under the console looking for problems. better you find them and fix them than have a buyer find them. Take some pics of the bilge areas and the fuel tank and post them to show cleanliness and condition.

As others have already suggested, I believe your boat is significantly over-priced for its age, condition, and this market. I hope these suggestions are helpful, and PLEASE accept them in the spirit they are intended. Good luck with it !!