Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 AM
baypro21
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Default Re: Mis-matching HVAC system (replacing outside unit without touching inside)

You can replace the outside unit only. It will be mismatched and be less efficient, have no warranty, and you may not have fixed the cause. If you go this route, make sure the indoor (evaporator) coil is clean. 11 years, I would bet it's partially clogged, this will contribute to compressor failure. I didn't read all the responses but Tin is correct, a system being vacuumed will not pull down to certain levels if there is a leak. When I pull a vacuum I know if there is a leak by how quickly the system reacts. If you replace just the compressor, here are a few things to also check: indoor fan motor run capacitor (can cause motor to be erratic) - clean evap. coil - keep most supply vents in house open - keep a clean filter in the return - CLEAN THE OUTDOOR CONDENSER COIL - REPLACE THE DUAL RUN CAPACITOR (in the outdoor unit) - INSTALL A NEW FILTER DRYER - For airfare, limo service to your house, room and board for 1 nite, and a free fishing trip the next day, I'll come down and replace that compressor for ya.