Old 01-12-2008, 05:58 AM
ReelWork
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER

Default Re: Mis-matching HVAC system (replacing outside unit without touching inside)

Replace the outside unit and ensure the tech leaves the vacuum on the line for some time to ensure no leaks.

Air handlers are often only replaced when they either go out, get too old and are very inefficient (restricted coils, poor transfers) and/or the heating and cooling bills are creeping up which relates the former.

Here in Texas where AC is king, just like Florida, outside units go out all the time. The good thing is this, your new unit will likely be a 13 SEER as I believe there were laws put into effect 1 Jan 08 stating all new units will have at least a 13 SEER rating.

You will get bent over too, especially when you call for them to finish a job like you're talking.. Techs make their money not from the equipment (they barely break even there), but from the service provided. I personally would replace it myself, wire everything and solder all the pipes, then call a tech for an annual check up. Once he shows up, drop him a little extra cash so he doesn't tell you to grab your ankles!