Old 01-12-2008, 05:09 AM
Flot
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Default Mis-matching HVAC system (replacing outside unit without touching inside)

Guys -

I have a basic HVAC question. I've "got a feeling" that my AC compressor is nearing the end of its life. Have had some odd issues lately, the thing is getting noisy as heck, etc. System is a 3 (?) ton 12 SEER Rheem, 11 years old. Electric heat. Accelerating its demise is the crappy job a local company did when relocating it - but the good news is that there is a nearly new lineset, electric hookup, etc, so it will be a "plug and play" swap.

As far as I've been able to find, the scroll compressor itself to repair this one when it goes will run me $900.

Given that, I often see ads, or heck even ebay listings, for new condensing units for $1000-1500, give or take.

Is there any disadvantage to replacing my whole condensing unit but leaving the air handler alone? Aside from the ton capacity is there anything else that needs to "match" to make the two halves work properly together?

Thanks. There is actually a huge HVAC forum out there - but they hate homeowners trying to get DIY info. So last time when I needed to move my unit I took their advice and hired a pro - and got completely bent over.