Thread: THEN - THAN
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 AM
OFFSHORE AL

Default THEN - THAN

PLEASE........... English was my worst subject in High School, but I can't seem to read a thread anymore without reading the improper use of these words. I don't mean to (too) offend anyone.

1then
Pronunciation: 'then
Function: adverb
Etymology: Middle English than, then then, than, from Old English thonne, thænne; akin to Old High German denne then, than, Old English thæt that
Date: before 12th century
1: at that time
2 a: soon after that : next in order of time b: following next after in order of position, narration, or enumeration : being next in a series c: in addition : besides
3 a (1): in that case (2)—used after but to qualify or offset a preceding statement b: according to that : as may be inferred c: as it appears : by way of summing up d: as a necessary consequence
— and then some : with much more in addition

Main Entry: 1than
Pronunciation: h?n, 'than
Function: conjunction
Etymology: Middle English than, then then, than — more at then
Date: before 12th century
1 a—used as a function word to indicate the second member or the member taken as the point of departure in a comparison expressive of inequality ; used with comparative adjectives and comparative adverbs[list=1] b—used as a function word to indicate difference of kind, manner, or identity ; used especially with some adjectives and adverbs that express diversity
2: rather than —usually used only after prefer, preferable, and preferably
3: other than
4: when 1b —used especially after scarcely and hardly

Sorry Al !