View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 AM
TN FREEBIRD
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Default Re: The new homestead

Hummm......

TN FREEBIRD - 4/28/2007 10:51 AM

Hey man, selling a house is no big deal. Buying one is where you have to be careful.

Sounds like you've had enough suggestions to cover the part about selling, but I would only add that you need to have a professional independent home inspection done on any house you plan to purchase. Most contracts will have provisions for this in a purchase, and it will allow you to void the contract or negotiate the cost for any repairs into the purchase price. DO NOT have an inspection done by anyone the seller or seller's agent recommends, and don't let a "buddy" do it unless that person is a professional in every aspect of home inspection. I know you have expressed your opinion of me personally, but trust me on this point.

If you have the time to weed through would be buyers and tire kickers, forget about listing your house with a realtor and hope the house you are looking at will be FSBO when then time comes as well.
TN FREEBIRD - 5/1/2007 2:02 PM

Garett - 4/28/2007 9:11 AM

Randy good point, but I've got that area covered with 100% confidence, I'll be doing my own inspection. I believe I am as close to an inspector as one gets without having the papers to say so. I know if there's a problem or a problem that has be dolled up I'll find it, there isn't much that gets past my knowledge base and eyes.

If I have a flaw in my skill level for inspections it would have to be I have no knowledge/ exposure to septic systems and wells, but I know people I can school from or have inspect it for me and at worst I'll pay to have it inspected.
Garett, the biggest problem as I see it having yourself or a friend do a home inspection will be when something pops up that one of you missed.

If you hire a licensed professional, you'll have recourse if he misses something that causes you problems. I'm not questioning your abilities, and I too have purchased several homes without hiring an inspector, but I would never do it again.

The first time I used one was on a lake house I looked at several years ago where the full basement was added as an afterthought! I saw a few little things that caught my eye, but our realtor friend suggested hiring an inspector she was familiar with. That guy found things I would have never found and suggested we run, not walk away from that one! I used him on another house as well where he found several items I would have missed as well. I ended up having these addressed in the purchase contract and the seller took care of the expenses involved in correcting them.

Such an inspection could prove to be money well spent even if you are a contractor with years of experience. This could be especially true where liability is concerned. Good luck on finding the perfect new home!
Gee, I was just trying to help.

Garett - 5/2/2007 1:55 PM

I don't know how much more diplomatic and polite I can be Randy, I DON'T need a d@mn building inspector, "I am one"!!! geezh If I've inspected one house in the past I know I've inspected well over 5,000 houses in the past.....so I know I know more then a few things about the subject! I also know YOU can now put this subject to rest for I am the inspector, I just don't have the papers to say so!
Oops!

Garett - 10/26/2007 9:33 AM

Boy it has been awhile hasn't it. Truthfully time feels like it is standing still, I am not noticing the days/ weeks go by.....itís seven days a week for this guy until I am satisfied.

The house has only thrown me two partial curve balls;
- one the electrical is a mess (some I knew of and some I didnít pickup on my quick inspection prior to making an offer). There is no way in hel this place was inspected back in 78, but no big deal itíll all pass code when I get done with it!

- Plumbing has thrown me somewhat of a curve ball as well. It would also appear that the plumbing was ever inspected either!

The Electrical:
So far I've added three 15 amp circuits associated with the attached garage. One was to straighten out the electrical mess in there, another was for the outside GFI I added and the last was for an electrical heater unit. Side yard lighting was added to the outside of the garage, GFI circuit was added outside, a timer was installed for the outside overhead garage door light after I isolated the electrical from inside the house lighting system (garage door light and inside the house side door landing where on the same switch), belt drive garage door opener installed, 3way lighting installed inside the garage, task lighting over the work bench installed, overhead heating for the work bench area added and 3 110v outlets added along both inside walls (garage now has 6 110v outlets).......some of that work was tide into two existing circuits. Of coarse a majority of the rewiring in the garage involved pulling the 5/8 drywall.....man there was wall cavities which didn't even have any insulation in them .......therefore I had to pull ALL the drywall in the garage. And of coarse because the drywall was pulled at the electrical panel I did a bunch of rewiring to tidy up the wires to the panel.
Because the Misses will be parking her car in the garage in the winter months and her car has an automatic car starter I had to gas proof the garage and add additional roof venting. Then there was the concrete floor which desperately needed cleaning (garage was used as a dog kennel - terrible smell). The man-door at the back of the garage needs replacing because the previous owners cut a corner out of it so the two Rots could come and go as they pleased - I haven't replaced the door as of yet, but it's on my ďnowĒ short list. Then there was the overhead shelving that was needed to be built in the garage (14' x 4'). Then I added separate winter taps for both the hot and cold water into the garage.
To finish off the attached garage work this winter I'll build new steps from the garage into the house along with some sort of coat rack and boot stand. Who knows how this weather will treat me, but if it's good I'll finish taping/ sanding/ primer/ painting the garage this fall. And this winter I build myself a new work bench and cupboard system for in there.

Then Iíve got the shop to wire for my needs (6 circuits at 220v @ 20 amps and 6 @ 110v), supply hydro to my garden shed (220v @ min. 20 amp & 1 @ 110v), straighten out switch location in my separate car storage garage and basically rewire the finished basement of the house.

The Plumbing:
I must admit I didnít catch this in my inspection, but the upstairs toilet wonít remove content. It appears to flush perfectly fine, but add only a tissue and it takes 6-7-8 flushes to remove it.......everything is pointing to a venting issue. ~ oh joy! And to make matters more fun and interesting it would appear that the both bathroom ceiling vents are not vented!

........more to come.
I hate to say I told you so, but.....

Now before anybody gets all excited about me picking on poor Garett, check out my State Farm Boat Insurance Rant. Stay on the porch little puppy, and the big dog will just keep on snoozin'.