View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Shooterschmidty

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullshipper View Post
I like Micks advice.

But if you already have a Jack plate that can always come up, you might want to drop 2 holes on the motor mount.

And if the hull will trim the nose down with the trim tabs up and the Permatrim down, I would lose the tabs. The 4 blade prop will want to lift the stern pushing the bow down so it sounds like trim down is covered.

But if she runs bow light and trim down is a problem, take off the spacer and leave the tabs. Small boats love trim tabs as long as their angle is not excessive acting like a brake.

You want to change one thing at a time.
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely change one thing at a time as I go forward.

I actually have difficulty getting the bow down without using the trim tabs, hence my suspicion that I have too much weight on the stern. I'm not sure how much the trim tabs with trolling motors weigh, but I bet that they, along with the jack plate and spacer weigh close to 100 lbs. I've read that these small cats are weight sensitive hence my initial focus there. I'll probably start by removing the space and then if that doesn't work, I'll swap out the trolling motor trim tabs for some normal ones.

I don't think that I want to drop the motor any lower on the jack plate. Right now if I lower it all the way and try to take off I get a large amount of water coming over the transom. Based upon my research, I think that's indicative of an engine that is set too low, although I suppose it could also be due to the jack plate itself.

I tried to attach some photos showing the current setup, but it looks like I don't have enough posts yet.