Old 10-22-2020, 05:59 PM
CapeFisher85
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

Received 168 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamato14 View Post
Curious on thoughts.

2002 Yamaha F225, runs great and no fault codes thrown but has midsection corrosion. Boats currently for sale and has been under contract twice with both buys backing out due to not knowing how the block is (don’t ask me why they agreed to numbers or put a deposit down then backed out after the fact on a well known concern), because you can’t see that from the scope you need to pull the block.

Question: Taking that into account, if I decide to do the exhaust kit, would it turn a potential buyer off if it was documented and DIY or would it make more sense to just pay someone to do it? I want to do it in case it doesn’t sell so I have a full knowledge of the engine and just was offered a place to do it with someone whose knowledgeable when it comes to engines and taking things apart and putting them back together and had any tool I’d need.
My concern is id spend a weekend doing it, get it all replaced assuming no issues, document it and a buyer (assuming I’d still want to sell after that sweat equity) would still come back and say it wasn’t checked by a certified yamaha tech so I want it at a discount.

I know a bunch of guys have done the work themselves so curious if you’ve sold and if you’ve run into that. Only reason I’m selling the CC is to move to a downEast so I have a cabin and can run traps in NH. Is it worth just bringing to a mechanic and paying then selling or is DIY fine as long as it’s documented?
On my previous boat I did both tuners. A bluetooth scope camera on Amazon is like $40 and tells a better story than any receipt will. I had no issues/qualms with the buyer of that boat and it has been working great for him for the past two years now.

"Do nothing, learn nothing", the process isn't that difficult. Just one step at a time and it will all come together. Don't forget Mr. Midas "have the right tools for the job" either