Old 10-12-2020, 02:18 PM
Lifeislarge
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

Received 952 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by brobin View Post
On my previous boat and my new WC280 I installed the Fells Marine MOB+ which is under $200 and, IMHO, the biggest bargain in boating. If I'm out alone and get tossed I'd hate to be treading water watching my boat sail off into the sunset. Even as old as I am, I can swim a few hundred feet to reboard. The engines will stop if 50' away from the fob (a little over 1 second @30MPH) or within 5 seconds of being underwater. Worst case, in 5 seconds at 30MPH the boat will be 220 ft away (44'/sec) when it shuts off plus a bit more to stop moving. If the lanyard isn't going to be used and, let's face it it isn't, then an electronic MOB system is the way to go. Another benefit is that additional fobs can be worn by crew and pets. The engine can be restarted 6 seconds after shutdown so remaining crew can get to the MOB. We all think it can't happen to us but Schlitz happens.
None of that’s going to help you if you go overboard in 3-5 with wind and current. Your boat is going to get away from you way faster than you can swim. Better have a PLB as well as your MOB. At least it won’t keep going under power ¯\_(ツ)_/¯