View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 03:02 AM
Mkolm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tohatsu M50 d2, 2 stroke fuel problem?

Hi There!

Im a long time reader of this forum, but I cant find anything to help on this topic why I post myself.

I have a 2003 Tohatsu 50hp 2 stroke. Its never really been used, just sitting on a fishing boat that has never been used really. My best guess is around 100 running hours since new.

Ok, so i mounted the engine on a 5m boat this spring, with the intend to start using it. I gave the engine a full service including new gaskets of fuel pump etc.
The engine starts up well and makes the boat take of. but after 1-2 minutes of running the boat in about 20 knots, the engine just bludders away and dies. This lead me to changing the fuel lines all the way from the tank to the carbs, changing fuel filter, cleaning the fuel tank... but the problem wont go away... It also seems like the engine runs better when its cold. I mean, when the engine dies after 1-2 minutes, its hard to start it again.. But if I wait until its cold, it starts easier.

I also find it easyer to get it to run if laborate with the manual choke. Its like trying to find a sweetspot with the choke, somewere in the middle. it starts up better and runs a bit better while doing that.

However, this led me to have a look at the side of the lower carburator were the choke/throttle links are at. I find this spring that looks broken. Im now thinking this can have something to do with the problem? I have not managed to find a parts list that includes this speing, but I attach a pic below hoping for help, tips and/or guidence.