Old 09-11-2020, 07:06 AM
Hank496
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve read this thread with interest. I have twin D6-IPS-450s (EVC-C2) diesels and wanted to upgrade my engine display to Glass cockpit. Both my local dealer and a Volvo Service Engineer have told me GC won’t work. The reason i was given is that on diesels there was a fundamental change in how EVC works between the C generation and later ones. The difference being that the later versions are digital and earlier like mine are analog to digital conversion.

I suspect you are running into a similar issue. With regard to fuel consumption and trip data, I know that is all provided by the EVC system (even on earlier versions) and largely based on a calculation of injector bursts, rpm and time. I know Mercury uses a similar process with their SmartCraft system. If that is the case, using a Glass Cockpit display on a non EVC engine is never going to function properly because the underlying technology is not present. Keep in mind the Glass Cockpit displays are meant to interface with the EVC system with it being a device that will not only read data coming from the engine, but also allow either the user, or technician, to input data (tank size, metric/English, language) into the system. On more advanced systems GC is used to calibrate things like joystick controls, and IPS & sterndrive function.

I must say I am surprised a builder would install a display designed for EVC input would install it on a non EVC power package even if they got a deal on them. Here in the US a GPSMAP 76xx display is a fraction of the cost of the customized Glass Cockpit device. Heck of a lot of money just to get a Volvo Penta splash screen on start up. I think the only way you are going to get fuel data is to go old school and install flow meters.