Old 06-16-2020, 12:14 AM
mr_mbuna
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a Robalo R227 dual console. Two thirds of the time it's the perfect boat, one third of the time I come back home and browse BoatTrader.

You have to get a boat that's made for the conditions of your area. We have three pretty different coastal boating zones between the Pacific Northwest (lots of aluminum hulls and pilothouses and cruisers) and Northern California (fiberglass pilothouses and walk-arounds and sailboats) and Southern California (center consoles and dual consoles and pilothouses). There are also plenty of bowriders and lake boats for inland lakes and waterways all up and down the coast.

Having a dual console in Northern California without a full enclosure definitely means picking my days. My R227 can handle 3' SF Bay chop safely but with a 15-20 MPH wind out of the northwest it's going to be a wet ride. When it's nice out and the wind and chop are low (or I go up in the Sac Delta) it's a great boat.

Regardless of the sea conditions it's very fishable - 6 rod holders, livewell, self bailing deck, toe holds, built for saltwater, without cushions the bow is a big raised fishing platform, good rear deck for a 22' when you fold down the rear bench, etc.