View Single Post
Old 05-02-2020, 06:44 AM
rusbob
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Received 527 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDanH View Post
Iím done. I think I may just avoid these kind of threads in the future.
That would be a shame
Originally Posted by bjm9818 View Post
Over the years Iíve found people who must continuously throw around the Dr title are usually English teachers followed a close second by chiropractors and dentist.
And rappers! Doctor Dre canít be a real doctor!!
Originally Posted by dssmith View Post
DrDanH:
I have nothing in regards to a peer reviewed study showing "causes" or "inciting issues" regarding suicide for physicians, nurses, DMD's, pharmacists or EMT's etc. The "survey" by EMT "educaters" was a poor representation of a peer reviewed and meaningful compilation of issues regarding work related stresses. That's why my reference to BillinStuart is on to something. I will let him speak for himself regarding the selfishness of suicide. Like you, I'd like to see meaningful progress in dealing with professional's suicides and self destructive behavior.

I still don't feel people who identify that suicide is selfishness are incorrect. One of your inciting conditions for suicide is drug use. We all agree that this contributes mightily to medical professionals suicides. My own specialty is probably the worst. People that use and abuse drugs might be "sick" but they sure as hell are selfish, and will abuse any of their colleages, friends or family while under the spell of drugs. It is impossible for me to see (from my lengthy experiences with druggies) the difference between their selfishness when using drugs, and the next step which might be suicide. Or financial ruin, or marital ruin, or professional ruin, or patient damage. I just don't have the capability to parse and separate these issues with terminology.

The poor physician that took her life got intervention and received psychiatric and mental health care. From her family, and from her physicians. Those interventions failed and she committed suicide.
Simplifying her situation, which was obviously complex, to being a result of her "heroic work" on the "frontlines of medicine" is something her grieving father, and the mercilless media have taken advantage of. She likely did not commit suicide because BillinStuart called her selfish, or a coward, or anything else. Nor did this prevent her from appropriate care. Her illness prevented her from seeing her selfishness, and sadly got the best of her. Treatment failures are part of the game. In health and mental care, we play in the big leagues. Nobody pitches underhand in this league.

I will sign off this thread and show myself out with my quote, cut and pasted from earlier:
I'm not arguing against proper psychiatric and psychological care for those ill enough to consider suicide. People so afflicted need and require it. This can be life saving.
Donít you think suicide would down if everyone smoked weed?