The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum - View Single Post - deep slow trolling daytime swordfish
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 09:04 PM
CapPhil

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mak232 View Post
we just bumped in and out of gear to scope line out about 5-10 degrees then let it pendulum back vertical, was using 6# wahoo trolling stick weight, figured that out to follow maintain depth on structure than just run off edge shallow to deep. First time DD and took about 3rd drift before actually got bit, verified on bottom at depth, straight up/down spool stopped, came up 50-75 cranks, bumped forward / reverse to keep scoped vertical at basically idle or to make slight course change to follow contours, would reverify bottom again every 10 min or so , then crank back up, did anywhere from 30-75 cranks back up each time...canít wait for weather break again to go try it again...off east coast MD/DE. Am a pure rookie but with what we figured out quik is what we were doing...

as far as with current or against. I tried to go with drift of boat, but not sure if wind drift at surface is different than current at depth, just tried to keep line vertical over what depth finder was seeing. First couple drifts was fighting staying vertical, and line scoped 20 degrees or more just drifting. So not sure if current direction deep was different than drift at surface....
I guess I messed up by not allowing the weight to pull the line back vertical.

We did very well this fall swordfishing. Was our first season trying it, went on 8 trips, killed fish on 5 of them and had fish hooked up and lost on the other 3. The last trip was by far the slowest due to the zero drift.

As far as line scope goes, we decrease weight until the line doesnt want to stay vertical anymore, some days it was 10#, others it was 4#. Bump trolling will probably require a little more weight.