Old 10-03-2019, 01:06 AM
PSW
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Default Is it worth it ....Mechanical vs DEC Controls

Just picked up a freshwater only Pursuit 2270 CC that is a 2004 with only 147 original hours. The boat came with a factory rigged 3.3L F200. Old school Yamaha 4 stroke. Have not even sea trialed the boat at this point. Went and picked the boat up and had it shrink wrapped and towed it home. Since then has been in my shop for the last few days while I crawl all over getting to know the boat and clean it up. During this time I am already thinking repower which I had already factored in during purchase. I like the idea of DEC but have never operated an outboard powered boat with them. I have palm beach controls on my Cabo that I love but not sure if that is similar to what an outboard would feel like. I have mechanical controls on my tender and it is ok but is typical mechanical feel. Being this is my fun boat and I don't want to dump money into it for no reason I am wondering if I should consider repowering with a mechanical 4.2L Yamaha as the current 704 series binnacle is in great shape as is the original fuel management gauges. I will spend the addtl funds if DEC is worthwhile I just don't have a baseline for reference.

So in a single engine application how big a difference is DEC vs Mechanical and is the addtl cost on repower worthwhile? I know it is tough to answer but there are a lot of guys on this forum that I am sure have run both and will have an opinion.