View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 06:01 AM
lps

I don't disagree with either of these. But, like I said, I witness firsthand the difference between how organic crops are grown on my farmland, and how conventional farming is done. The difference is dramatic. Maybe it's just that my farmer is particularly conscientious. For example, rather than using a pre- or post- emergent herbicide, he's got a 6 row propane torch that scorches the earth between the rows to kill weeds and weed seeds. It leaves no chemical residue, and there are no chemicals to drift to other areas. He also uses a lot of labor to chop the fields. The assertion that farmers, including organic farmers, are just going to douse their crops in chemicals ignores the fact that these chemicals are expensive, and profit margins are low. But conventional chemicals are cheaper than organic chemicals, so the incentive to use less chemicals is greater in organic farming.

You should definitely thoroughly wash any produce you eat, whether it's organic or not. Also, don't buy organic if you're only doing it to "save the planet." Because it takes more land to produce the same amount of crop, organic is probably only marginally better from an environmental standpoint (i.e. using less chemicals might mean using more fuels to cultivate your crops). Conventional farming is how we feed the world. Organic farming may be how you choose to feed your family. If you're smart about it, you can't go wrong with selecting some organic produce over non-organic.