View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 05:51 AM
km1125

Originally Posted by lps View Post
As I stated in my earlier post, I rent farmland to a friend who does organic farming. The fields surround my house. So I am a daily witness to what he has to do to maintain the USDA Certified Organic status. It's definitely not bullshit (though, if he had access to bullshit, he'd might use it on his land if it otherwise met the requirements for maintaining his certification). Farmland that has been used for conventional farming has to be transitioned to organic. It takes three years (three years of organic farming) before USDA will certify it as organic. He has to keep buffers around his organic fields to prevent his crops from being contaminated by drifting chemicals. Everything he uses has to meet the "organic" criteria (he can't even use chemical fertilizer). He gets inspected pretty regularly. He's invested too much time and effort into getting his certification to blow it by trying to "cheat" the system. His crops are generally smaller, his fields have more weeds, and his produce isn't always as "pretty" as conventionally grown crops. But they taste ten times better, and I know exactly how they were grown (not merely because there's a certification, but because I see how the crops are cultivated).

My fields have, in the past, also been used for conventional farming. So I've seen and smelled the chemicals that are used in conventional farming, and I've seen their impacts in my yard when those chemicals drift or "wander." There was a chemical years ago, Command, that would seem to evaporate off the crops and drift around and affect woods, landscaping, gardens, etc. "Command Injury" was easy to detect, because it turned plants white. That, and the defoliants used in cotton farming, was what increased my motivation to have my land farmed organically.

There are some terrible chemicals used in farming. If eating USDA certified organic produce minimizes my family's exposure to those chemicals, it's a good thing. The fact that organic produce tastes better and stays fresh longer is another undeniable benefit.
This almost falls into the category of "grow your own". You see what's going on there and almost have control of it. The question is really for those that have to purchase at the store. Are you comfortable that anything marked 'organic' or 'certified organic' is close to the stuff you're buying from that farm?