View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Aliboy

Originally Posted by sinjun View Post
There is definitely room for abuse outside the certified products and you preferably would know where the food is really coming from.Is there inspectors that prove items are organic? I never buy organic how can you be sure it's really organic?
There will be national and/or state bodies that provide certification. The level of inspection can vary, but it is usually pretty intensive for the ones I have seen at least. Most of the information you need to check is probably online. Just note the details on the certification label and check them out online. You will soon workout what you trust or don't.
The 'scam' part can be where something might be referred to as organic without actually being 'Certified Organic'. Some people are definitely trying to get a free ride on the organic train and higher margins for 'normal' goods. On the other hand, a farmer for instance might follow organic principles but the farm might have a prior history of fertilizer or spraying which may take a few years to 'clean' before getting certification. Sometimes shown as organic in transition or similar. Personally I will support this and buy. It is still better to me than a crop that has just been doused in RoundUp. Sometimes you will also see stuff in the 'organic' markets that is labelled 'spray free'. This is generally again someone who has farmed organically but not asked for or received organic certification. Technically though they could have applied chemical fertilizers, but mostly I find they are on the organic path.