Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 AM
Tossedabout

I understand what You are saying about shape/strength but Iím not sure it would be a practical application in a transom. How do you add shape to a transom or core materials in a way that works. Water and wind have different effects. Also remember that when a car is impacted(aka crashed) repaired are needed. If a transom got crashed to that same extent the boat would be out of commission .

The solid glass transom does does seem like a bad/heavy idea but I think what gave birth to that way of thinking was the waterlogged transom of long ago. Not sure how much heavier a solid glass transom would be vs a waterlogged one. Products like air-jay are probably what is being mentioned here. Again, Iím not a fan of these newer greater composites. Take coosa for example. I like the idea of it but I think the cons outweigh the pros. When you layup glass and resin on marine ply the resin gets into the wood. It creates a tenacious bond. On coosa it doesnít bond the same way and Iíve read many reports of delamination with it. It doesnít have the same fiber type bonding surface as wood. No doubt coosa works well for many but in time how good is the bond? Boats shake vibrate pound and have a few impacts at times. My money is on meranti marine ply properly encapsulated. To each his/her own just learn the best way to use either product.