View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 AM
LandLocked42Long
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

We're almost in the same situ B., except mine hasn't sold yet, but that hasn't stopped me from window shopping.
We just have to assume 2'-3' minimum around here and be thankful when we get less.
So I was thinking the same thing, 28'-30' LOA on a mono, with at least 175gal tank, preferably more like 250gal.
A large, deep V mono is def better than what we've had; Contender, Intrepid, Jupiter, Regulator, etc..., but I find myself leaning more and more toward a Cat w/every passing week.
I don't think a Prowler 246 is big enough for consistent 100mile runs (I could be wrong, since I've never ridden on one..yet), but I know a 28'+ <any manufacture> Cat would cover the bases, to include the occasional (fall/winter) Floater trip, I've just heard that the bigger the Cat, the larger the PIA it is to haul/launch and I need the ability to drop it in anywhere from Galvez to South Padre.
I'd really love to get on a 25' Prowler I emailed them a while back (no response), as to actual differences between the 246 & 25, as the 246 comes on the market more often.
I've been on 25' SeaCat, 28' WC, 30' WC and 34' Freeman...there is no comparison in cruising comfort to a comparably sized or even slight larger mono and typically better range w/same size tanks, but you usually give up fish locker space and the run & gun scenario that a well powered mono provides.
Our typical 2'-3' on a 25' Cat and we cruised @ 22-27kts in comfort. I've been on 30' monos in same conditions and got the occasional slap/pound...not a lot and not enough to jar the spine in to submission, but there was zero pound in the 5' shorter Cat. yes, driving skills, trim, wind, head vs following, play a role, but done it enough to know Cat will always ride softer.
I really like the WC 270TE, but have no doubt that a good day at the Floaters would mean cutting sickles off of YFT at some point. My preference for the 270TE is the same reason for interest in the Prowler- I love the walk-thru transom/ladder setup; fighting, restroom, kids, dog, spearfishing, etc...
Tough decision, but I think you've got it narrowed down pretty well.
Just don't ignore a Jupiter, Sailfish, or ever-elusive Triton. I'll keep my eyes/ears out for you.