Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 AM
diver dave
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Originally Posted by Island Marine Group View Post
Not really. Boston Whaler hulls are two parts built in separate molds. The outer (hull) and an inner (liner) molds are mated together while the fiberglass is still uncured. The structure is created by what they call "shear ties". These are pieces of fiberglass that are inserted in between the molds. Their purpose is to tie the two fiberglass parts together and prevent them from moving in the horizontal plane relative to each other. (Shear) You need enough shear ties to prevent movement, but not too many or it will prevent the foam from flowing from it entry point at the bottom to its exit point at the top. The first article of each design is built with clear gelcoat so you can see inside and make sure the foam filled the void and the shear ties are intact. While the foam does provide some rigidity to the skins, it is not relied upon for structure.
Fair enough. But, let me ask this. If you were to remove all the BW17 foam, would you not find lots of oil canning? Lots of point stress on the hull at the shear ties? Eventually enough skin movement to cause a failure? My point, is that the foam is an integral solution, that does help the overall structure.
Not to make a direct comparison to a BW (I've done a lot with them and they have been fine); but have you seen a fairly simple structure, like an IGLOO cooler, loose its foam to skin adhesion? It's a mess.