Old 02-08-2019, 07:58 PM
tx656

Default Opinion on transom core thickness. 1.50" or 2.25?

My question. Would you recommend 2 layers of 3/4" or 3 layers of 3/4" core material for my transom rebuild?

Backstory. Rebuilding a 1994 Seacat SL5. Total gut job. Transom had wet spots and crushing of core material. Removed all of that and now shopping for replacement core material. Coosa is pretty much impossible to source in Texas. There is a company in Dallas called CoreLite that has a 28# PVC material that would work. Unfortunately they don't stock the material but indicated North American Composites in San Antonio might. Will call them next week. If they don't have what I need I guess I'll be driving to Louisiana or Florida! I'm going to material for the sole also so might as well make one trip somewhere.

I'll be adding knees to the transom or an inner aluminum bracket like World Cat made available after point of sale on some of their earlier models. I’m leaning towards 2 layers because the guys that have already finished their seacats have all said “keep it light”. (Especially when it comes to the sole which will be a future post.)

This hull originally was spec'd for 2 x 150HP. It had 2 x 175HP when I bought it. Prior owner had fitted an aluminum plate that wrapped over top of transom and also tied the side walls of splash well to transom. Worked OK I guess but gel coat cracked where outer splash well corners met top of transom, etc.

As always, thanks for any and all feedback.

Pics of original transom before/after core removal.

ANOTHER SeaCat Rebuild - 1994 SL5