Old 12-23-2018, 08:19 AM
BackEastDon
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

The story of Leo Fender is not so much of genius but frugality and simplicity. Guitars born from the simplest of construction techniques, making it approachable for a beginner builder. Leo was a classic tinkerer. Pickups made from simple pole magnets and rubberized compressed fiberboard used to make drum cases for instance. Sometimes the magic is in the simplicity. Early blues players had the same approach. Build what you can't afford with what you have. Sometimes it was just fence wire and barn boards in the simplest classic diddly bow. Lots of builders out there using the stick and a box method and finding a connection to their instruments and playing that you won't get from a store bought guitar.

In its basic form there is not much to it.

Even with simple tools much is possible.

There is not much to a simple single coil pickup. A little forbon, a couple magnets and some wire.

The experimentation with number of turns, wire gauge, scatter winding magnet types all creates different results.

I am fortunate to live near an exotic lumber yard. The manager is a bass player and he is tolerant of me going through the racks thumping and tapping on wood so I can find the right resonant boards I want.
In a 1000 mass produced guitars, there will be a handful that has that kind of magic. The sum of all its parts. I would never buy a guitar without picking it up and letting it speak to me.

I hand selected the ash and sitka spuce to build this guitar out of hundreds of boards. It is the same feeling you get with a guitar you pick up in the store that just sings to you even before you plug it in.

Tone is where you find it. I've built some pretty eclectic stuff out of odd materials. Like this one made out of a Ford truck hub cap. With a slide is rings like a dobro.

It all started when my wife threatened to divorce me if I bought another guitar. Surprised I'm still married.