Old 12-20-2018, 04:38 AM
Hatem

Originally Posted by Brad1 View Post
I got news for you, the American made Fenders aren't all that great either. At least not the production ones. Low grade fret material, poor fret leveling, low grade wood, and finish so thick (to make them look good) that it strangles all the sonic resonance out of the guitar. They are not the same guitars that made Fender famous. Perhaps the custom shop ones are, but definately not the production ones. I don't care if it's made in the USA or Mexico.

I have a couple late model Fenders for around the home practice use, or for back up or "guest" guitars. In every case, they needed a fret level when they were brand new, right off the rack. Then after a couple years if playing, the frets are worn down to nothing. After one hour of practice, my finger tips look like I rubbed a #2 pencil all over them. They're black from fret wear.
Funny you mention that. My favorite Strat is the one made in Mexico. It has the best feel, the best neck and all I had to do with it was change the pickups and adjust action and the intonation. That's not to say my other American made Strats aren't as good, it's just something about the white with maple neck Mexican one that just feels all-around better than the others.

Originally Posted by xl883lo View Post

My first Telecaster!!!

My first Stratocaster!!
I like the maple necks much more than the rosewood ones. Pretty cool too how your setup is the unique, you see every once in a while swap of the Stratocaster headstock on the Tele and the Tele's on the Strat. lol

Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Well I bought my first guitar 4 years ago at the age of 51. A $200 Yamaha FG700S. I made some good calluses with this guitar my first year:
Beautiful. I love the sound of Yamaha steel string acoustic guitars as a matter of fact, 90% of what I play now is acoustic. I played Ovation steel string cutaways for 30+ years and in the last 5 years or so, I've switched and been playing strictly nylon and Cordoba acoustic guitars. I bought the flamenco series and the fusion as well and man do I love them both. The tone is impeccable.

This is a very cool video of Al DiMeola talking about his style of playing and the basics which he says make up the foundation of good guitar playing which include, of course, the first and most important thing which is timing. The up & down picking stroke and technique and adding accents etc. Some really great stuff. And man would I love to get my hands on one of those Conde Hermanos with that superb cutaway.