View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 AM
trejsic.mejsic

Originally Posted by Lone Ono View Post
Not fair T., calling me out on something that canít be defined. To me HST is traveling as fast as the water conditions allow while maintaining good lure presentation. 14 knots is often thrown around as the entry level for HST, and I mostly agree with that. I will run as low as 12 knots if thatís all the water will allow, any less than that Iím out. I peak out around 18 knots. I could run higher speeds with higher drag sets and heavier leads but never felt the need. If I fished in flat water I prolly would go a little faster.

Just driving fast doesnít put much fish on the boat though. The real key for me is taking multiples from the same pack. Finding them takes most of my time. When you find them you have to keep hitting the pack repeatedly at the same speed that got the first one to bite. Hanging one out to dry every ten minutes or so for an hour is just too much fun.

Islanders are pretty common in HST. Behind a lead they stay down like anything else. Donít know a specific name for them but people run Islanders over a size 50 trolling skirt with an egg sinker stuffed up in the skirt. ďBahama MamasĒ or something like that.
Outboard Fish, please accept my apologies, my ignorance has ME muddying the waters.

Lone Ono, I hope you're just joshing me about calling you out - I view that as a bad thing and I would not want that. To me it makes more sense to ask an experienced fisherman for clarity than not...so tag, you're it. Price you have to pay for your success LOL, so thank you for your ample generosity and willingness to mentor us rookies.

Have you tried a big 200 Nomad DST yet ? We caught some dolphins with them but could not keep them down past 12-13 kph. We'll see down the road, it was petty rough that day.

OP, I'm gonna send you a little present to help you as you stick your toe in the water, PM me if your interested.

Cheers, T.