View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 01:09 PM
TsunamiTsling
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

Originally Posted by ccim View Post
I have a 24' center console (planing hull that frequently goes over 30mph) that I leave in the water near an inlet in a fast moving tidal saltwater current (Charleston typically has between a 5' and 6' tide). I have 1 year old ablative bottom paint that is not doing the trick. I am also paying a diver to clean the bottom once a month - which helps but he is known to miss some areas. I have the most trouble with the waterline/chine and the bottom of the V in the stern - hard and soft growth. I usually only take the boat out of the water 2 or 3 times a year for service - for a week to 10 days at a time.

A couple of questions:

Since it is a planing hull and I have someone cleaning the hull monthly - am I stupid to use ablative paint? Seems like I may be accelerating the ablative process by running the boat fast and scrubbing the bottom.

Am I better off with a self polishing paint like Micron 66 or a true hard bottom paint? I am intrigued with the idea of using a good "hard" bottom paint so I can possibly pick up some speed and fuel economy. But since I pull the boat out of the water a few times a year then that may be a mistake if that kills the effectiveness of the paint.

Any recommendations on the best bottom paints in areas like Charleston for planing hulls???? Thanks a ton for the help and feedback! I am beginning to think bottom paint is trickier than prop science.

I would try the Micron CSC. Put 2 coats on it and 3 coats on the waterline, and the chines.(pressure areas). Hard bottom paint does lose its schtoop very quick....48 Hours. Hard also builds up and cracks and falls off due to the different shrinkage rates of the layers of paint. Pettit used to make a high load copper ablative that I used to love. It was called Boatyard ablative. Came in red, blue and black only, but it was excellent. Probably not around anymore.