View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 08:04 AM
ccim
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Default Bottom Paint Question(s) - Charleston

I have a 24' center console (planing hull that frequently goes over 30mph) that I leave in the water near an inlet in a fast moving tidal saltwater current (Charleston typically has between a 5' and 6' tide). I have 1 year old ablative bottom paint that is not doing the trick. I am also paying a diver to clean the bottom once a month - which helps but he is known to miss some areas. I have the most trouble with the waterline/chine and the bottom of the V in the stern - hard and soft growth. I usually only take the boat out of the water 2 or 3 times a year for service - for a week to 10 days at a time.

A couple of questions:

Since it is a planing hull and I have someone cleaning the hull monthly - am I stupid to use ablative paint? Seems like I may be accelerating the ablative process by running the boat fast and scrubbing the bottom.

Am I better off with a self polishing paint like Micron 66 or a true hard bottom paint? I am intrigued with the idea of using a good "hard" bottom paint so I can possibly pick up some speed and fuel economy. But since I pull the boat out of the water a few times a year then that may be a mistake if that kills the effectiveness of the paint.

Any recommendations on the best bottom paints in areas like Charleston for planing hulls???? Thanks a ton for the help and feedback! I am beginning to think bottom paint is trickier than prop science.