Old 10-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Squid Chum

Originally Posted by JonathanFlorida View Post
So, I am relatively new to fishing offshore out of Port Canaveral. My 16 year old son absolutely LOVES offshore fishing and so I do everything I can to nurture that and encourage him to continue to develop his love for this amazing sport. October is upon us, and given the weather provides fewer days suitable for getting out there, I want to make sure that on the days we are able to get out there, we have the best chance possible to enjoy a little success. I understand there are days when you just get skunked, but, I want to learn at least what we SHOULD be targeting and doing during these different phases of the year so that I can at least have a reasonable shot at showing my son a little success.
I would appreciate information on what we should be fishing for and generally how we should be fishing during October, November, December, Jan, Feb and March. I am guessing that once April rolls around we should be seeing lots of Dolphin offshore and that will take care of that. Basically an idea please of what is out there each of the next few months, and how they should be targeted. Thanks in advance for any replies, I am always humbled by the generosity of folks providing and sharing their knowledge and experience.
The first suggestion that comes to mind would be to keep an open mind, having multiple backup plans and enough different types of rigs to try several types of fishing during the trip. For example, we might start conventional trolling at dawn in the general direction of some known bottom structure while keeping an eye on the bottom machine for new spots. Iím usually that guy who suggests that we temporarily stop trolling to make a quick drop on a good looking mark, but, am commonly overridden by the crew not wanting to pull and redeploy the trolling spread. Nevertheless, my jigging outfit is always rigged and ready to be deployed immediately which has often produced big dividends taking just a few minutes from the day to see if the bite is on below.

On another note, we have been resorting to highspeed trolling more often when the conventional trolling and bottom bite is off. To be forthcoming, we do not catch a lot of quantity when HST, however, the HST catches are commonly something exciting. And, it helps cover more area when looking for flotsam, rips, bird, turtles etc. HST also keeps hooks in the water and allows a better view of the surrounding waters as opposed to running and gunning at higher speeds. My biggest pet peeve is to always have at least two spinners rigged and ready to pitch baits or a combination of pitch bait and lure such as bucktail or popper.

In addition
, we have saved the day on multiple occasions fishing the inlet channel ledges plus nearby bottom structure just off the beach during late December thru March. The snapper and some grouper come in close during the winter season (we actually caught our first big dog snapper off the first reef on New Yearís day which was a pleasantly unexpected surprise). When all else fails, larger baits like blue runners are usually readily available to catch near the inlet mouth/around the buoys. Putting one of these larger live baits say 6í under a balloon will almost certainly result with something Big on the end of the line. And, there is no telling what may swim up around the mouth of the deepwater Cape inlet at any given moment.

To summarize, staying busy while changing things up can help stave off boredom plus increase catching success I would argue. All that said, I fish out of any given inlet from Ponce to Stuart with the Port being my second favorite. Hence, the locals on this thread would be able to provide more focused knowledge. Hope you and your son have many memorable offshore adventures to come.