Old 10-02-2018, 08:18 PM
delta55

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ***Updated - bought a boat*** First boat, Hard choice - Chaparral or Regal

***Update***
Bought a boat - thanks for everyone's input. In October, we almost pulled the trigger on the Chaparral after the Annapolis boat show. Decided to wait, and at the Dulles boat show we got on the Regal 2800 - only about 16" longer, but a wider beam. Compared to the Chap, fit and finish excelled, and we really liked the double wide helm / observer seats. The boat just had much more room, and I liked the symmetry of the seats. Also, the Chap came to the show kind of dirty and just wasn't pulling at our heart the way the Regal was. We realized you're not buying just the boat, but the dealer, too. However, the 2800 was $35k more expensive, exceeds my current tow capacity, and was a 4 months wait for delivery.

So we made the prudent decision, and ordered it immediately.

We've had 3 great weekends on the boat, and love almost everything about it. We did hit a snafu with our original covered lift slip that was a strap lift, but we are working through that. Again - appreciate the collective wisdom here.
Stock photo of our color combo, minus the tan vinyl:

We are about to buy our first boat. We're looking at 27' bowriders for spending Saturdays on the water with our 3 small kids (1-6). The response to my first post about pleasure boating in my area was impressive - a wealth of information from TheHullTruth community that was very helpful. We are looking this big to be able to entertain another family comfortably in the Potomac, from DC to Colonial Beach.

I'm hoping the forum can share any thoughts on the two boats we are considering: a 2018 Chaparral 267 SSX and a 2019 Regal 26 Fasdeck. The boats are nearly the same - 27' vs 26'6, same Volvo 350hp, seating layout, power tower, etc, etc. Some notable differences - the Chaparral cockpit drains directly overboard, Regal into the bilge; the Chap weighs 550lbs more; Chap has electric head, regal has a regular pump out
OTD cost is going to be similar - Chap MSRP is $137k. OTD will be $95k+tax; Regal MSRP is $116k, OTD $89k+tax.

Comments or experiences with construction, performance, features, resale would be appreciated. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before we make this decision.

Last edited by delta55; 08-01-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Update