View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 09:36 AM
keezdisease
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member

Default 1977 44' Buddy Davis refit

a couple months ago I posted the miserable trip from Ft. Pierce Florida to MD in a Buddy Davis I purchased. After dealing with dirty filthy fuel, clogged supply lines, dirty bottom and a bullsh@! story on engine condition and one making three gallons of oil every three days I got her home and she is beginning her refit.
Boat history- She started out as one of two diagonally planked juniper plank on juniper frame 44' flybridge boat with 8v92 Detroit natural 400 hp engines. After it was converted to an express she cruised effortlessly at 17 knots at 1750 rpm and at 2200 would cruise 23 knots at 2200 with a tired port engine with half the compression as specified. fuel burn was only 25 gph The hull was damaged in a hurricane in the back starboard corner and was rebuilt by a previous owner.
The boat was stripped down to just the engines with new wiring and a water tank and that was about it.The interior had two heads until yesterday, when we stripped the one down to the bare hull (pics to come) to turn into a rod storage closet and a possible small freezer.
I purchased the Reaper, a 34' Phoenix for the 450C Cummins and although plrnty of power to push the 30,000 pound hull I felt the boat was worthy of an upgrade. I am keeping the Glendinning electronic controls (installed by old owner) and they will be coupled to QSM11 660 hp engines with electronic shift and troll valves. The projected cruise is in the 30 knot plus range at 65-70% range and will burn 33-36 gph.
When the boat was sea trialed she pushed effortlessly, rode soft and was very responsive to the trim tabs. In spite of her age she is relatively very sound.She is headed to get new helm, interior mods, paint and cockpit mods as soon as we have the new power in her. Leoanard Rigsbee will be doing the paint and mods at the Jarrett Bay Yard and we are shooting for her to be ready to go in time for the winter bluefinning. We will be leaving all the original cabinetry inside as she is being built as a serious battlewagon with no concern for condominium fluff.