View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 03:58 PM
MilesExpress

Originally Posted by Nardiellojitsu View Post
The 3.8l motor is not a very good motor. We currently own a 2011 unlimited Sahara and it burns roughly 3 qts of oil in between oil changes. These motors are known for this. Also the radiators are know for leaks where the plastic is on the sides. The only other issue I've had was transmission line leaked. Other then those three things we haven't had any issues. We also have 3" lift with 35's on it.

With 90k already on the jeep I'd be picking that thing apart to make sure your getting one of the better 3.8l. Some people have had no problems with them others had motors replaced before 100k. The 3.8l is know for dry starts also which causes bearing failure. 2012 and newer came with the 3.6l which offers way more power and less headache. If you have anymore questions just ask.
Great post! I have not had a Jeep since 1999 model with inline 6. Then CJ 7’s and 5’s going back to the 70’s.
I wouldn’t know which engine is good and bad, but your well written post answered my questions as well, thanks.