View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Nardiellojitsu

Originally Posted by Minnow View Post
So let me start by saying I'm not a Jeep fan but my wife wants one and fell in love with a 2009 Wrangler X V6 pretty much loaded but has 90,000 miles on it. It has a 4" lift and big tires. I've been told the lift is not good and shortens the life of the drivetrain, which makes sense to me. It's in very good condition and we know the owner who bought it new. What are the watch outs.. and how do I talk my wife out of this?

And I know pics of wife.... maybe..
The 3.8l motor is not a very good motor. We currently own a 2011 unlimited Sahara and it burns roughly 3 qts of oil in between oil changes. These motors are known for this. Also the radiators are know for leaks where the plastic is on the sides. The only other issue I've had was transmission line leaked. Other then those three things we haven't had any issues. We also have 3" lift with 35's on it.

With 90k already on the jeep I'd be picking that thing apart to make sure your getting one of the better 3.8l. Some people have had no problems with them others had motors replaced before 100k. The 3.8l is know for dry starts also which causes bearing failure. 2012 and newer came with the 3.6l which offers way more power and less headache. If you have anymore questions just ask.