Old 06-28-2018, 04:48 PM
DrDanH

Originally Posted by mymojo View Post
I know it's a fishing forum but I am at whit's end trying to understand what my daughter is experiencing. She's a beautiful 17 y.o., very intelligent, friendly but always has been reserved and quiet. For the past three years she has had sporadic panic attacks during some stress-full school-related times but they seemed to go away fairly quickly and they were triggered by some identifiable issues. Recently she has left 2 summer jobs after suffering what I would call full blown panic attacks (crying, scratching, skin rashes, repeatedly bumping into walls) when faced with going to her part time job. She has been to counseling for a year and most recently been to a psychiatrist who put her on some meds which we all hoped would help but tonight we had another melt down and she could not go to work. I am at a complete loss - I want my kids to be happy, she's a year away from going to college and it seems she will not be able to handle it. SHe is depressed and sad and I don't know what to do, I just have never had to deal with something like this and am ill equipped to help her. Has anyone been through this???
I'm a clinical psychologist, and have been working in the mental health field since 1990. I understand your concern for your daughter and your wish to make life good for her.

People do not realize how debilitating anxiety can be. We have all experienced situational anxiety (e.g., getting nervous before giving a speech), but for people with severe anxiety and/or panic, it can occur out of nowhere.

Anxiety is treatable. The best advice vice I can give is to take her for a thorough psychological evaluation (to help clarify her diagnosis, if this has not already been done), then find both the most experienced psychiatrist and most experienced psychologist in your area to treat her. It may take some time and patience to find the most effective medication regimen. Later, finding her a support group (maybe online initially) would help her see she's not alone.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.