The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Anyone have a child with debilitating anxiety? at whits end..
Old 06-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 441
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

You might ask your GP for a referral to a different psychiatrist. Current one might be treating for the wrong diagnosis. Or it could be that the meds need to be adjusted until you find the right combo to help her.

My kid has some significant developmental disabilities overlaid with anxiety problems, but has been doing as well as we can hope with managed meds and the watchful eyes of Mom & Dad. There's another family member, older, (not going to be more specific in a searchable forum- sorry) who has issues which sound similar to what you describe. Finding the right meds has been a years-long process, and there are setbacks like when the insurance company decides to substitute a "similar" script.

Mental illness sucks, and there's a pretty heavy stigma attached to it. An ex girlfriend of mine is doing the best she can with it, but it's basically ended any hope of what we THTers like to think of as a 'normal' life. I think she would be better off today (in her 50's) if there had been more family support, although I'm personally really glad to have dodged that bullet. Be supportive and be ready for a long fight with a lot of shitty days mixed in. Good luck.

Another point: if her issues are so debilitating that you may be looking into long-term care, consult a special needs attorney NOW. The laws are different in Mass, but here in LA we have something called a Continuing Tutorship, which extends your legal parental authority (full or partial, depending on the situation) after the child with a disability turns 18. It's handy for setting up trusts and managing funds, especially if they need public assistance. The paperwork MUST be complete and registered with the state before the child turns 18. It can be set up as a revocable document, and there are versions of this which can be entered into like a contract after legal adulthood is reached, but it's a hell of a lot harder to do. [I'm not an attorney, but the Admiral is, and this is her specialty.] Some real shitshows could have been avoided if the parent still had parental authority when things got really bad for the adult child.