View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 AM
dssmith
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member

Originally Posted by catfever24 View Post
I`m asking this question for a friend of mine because, well, I didn`t have an answer. So I figured the THT brain trust would have the answer I can bring back to my friend. The question that was presented to me was this :

Since when does going from a hourly rate and being paid for those hours to a salary rate and then having to work unlimited hours for basically the same pay? There are no other benefits included according to my friend, just a guaranteed pay check. I said you pretty much just answered your own question.
I`ve had several salary jobs over the years and I never questioned it. I`ve had salary jobs in the restaurant business for 20 years working from 7am to 2 am what seemed like all the time. But he does bring up a good point. Why does a salary paying job constitute having to working extended hours over and above what you would normally work at an hourly job? I know every job is different and they all have different perks to reflect the salary, but apparently this is not the case. Unfortunately, my friend does not want to disclose what he is being paid.
So what response would the THT brain trust have for an answer?
It doesn't matter what the employee, or the THT braintrust says. He/She is a free will employee. He is free to leave any time for other work, and the company is free to terminate his position any time and hire someone else. (Unless this is a government position with a bargaining unit agreement)

A salaried position usually means a position where the output and "product" of the employee is not defined by a 40hr period. In many cases the employee may have to stay late, and do extra work because that's when the work is. (Meeting clients, serving clients, dealing with shipping and implementation etc) A salaried employee doesn't necessarily punch in at 8am and vacate at 5pm. Maybe even, the boss doesn't care if the employee leaves at 2pm so long as all the work is done, and productivity is increasing.

An hourly position only values the output and product of the employee during the hr's required. Let's not forget, many many hourly employees are not productive all 40 hrs each week. Yet they are compensated whether work comes in or any work get's done. I saw lots and lots of federal employee's playing out the clock each day. Why? Because they had no concern for their productivity. That was the problem of "Management." On the other hand, there were many valuable hourly employees that were very productive and their hourly rate undervalued their contribution to the employer.

So it really depends on the employee's attitude whether they see the job as owing them, or them contributing to the job. Either way, good bosses know the productivity and value of their salaried (and also hourly) employee's. They are always looking for value. And they know who the clock watchers are. If they don't they are not good bosses and your buddy should look elsewhere if that's his type of boss.