Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Clinker

Received 1,205 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyjsob View Post
Evinrude needs any and every competitive advantage it can get to gain market share. IMO most boaters are most interested in a reliable product. The warranty gives people some reassurance. Yamaha doesn't need to go 10 years.. besides, it seems like a couple times per year you can get 6 years. Same with merc and Suzuki.
As someone who has tried to claim on a warranty with Yamaha, I would go for the Evinrude every time even if the warranties were equal - with Evinrude offering a 10 year warranty it's a no brainer. Look at the automotive world - the cars with the longest warranties are the makes that are generally the most reliable. To me Evinrude's 10 year warranty is a great indication of their faith in their product - it would be commercial suicide to offer a warranty on any product that you didn't expect to have minimal claims on

If I were in the position to buy, Evinrude's warranty would not give me some reassurance, it would give me total reassurance.

And let's face it, if Yamaha had have offered a 10 year warranty on their products 15 years ago it would probably have closed their outboard division down - instead they let their customers pick up the tab for all those failed 225s.

Originally Posted by homeby51 View Post
Believe me, if 2 strokes were inherently more reliable and the longevities were equal, car companies would have embraced them and our highways would be packed with two strokes.
They very nearly did - Optimax was originally developed as a car engine for Ford, but the plug was pulled because of concerns about market acceptance - from the struggle Evinrude have, even though they have a superb engine, I would say it was probably the right call.

BTW this is the first time I've looked at this thread in a while - I'm not about to read though it all, but 15 pages in, has their actually been a unhappy G2 owner found yet?

Last edited by Clinker; 12-09-2017 at 06:34 PM.