Thread: Buff Magic
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 06:24 AM
CaptSamShurhold

Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
Capt. Sam,

I was scammed by my marina and one of their "approved" vendors on the compounding of the hull sides of my 1988 Sea Ray 390.

He mixed Nu Finish in with a well known buffing compound. I know this because I saw the bottles on the ground asked if that was what they used to do the final wax. He said no and that it was mixed in with the compound of a single stage buff. Basically I paid for compounding but got a glaze. It shined like new for about 3 weeks. After that I knew I'd been had and it was back to dullville again.

I'm going to haul the boat next month and DIY the hull sides correctly this time. I own a Dewalt Variable Speed Rotary and a Griots Random Action 6" Buffer. I'd like to purchase everything (Pads, Compound, Polish) from one source.

I've done my own boats for many years and have many of hours of experience with the rotary but always used automotive compounds in the past on smaller boats. Since the area I'm working on is so large I want to make sure I'm using the right materials for this job.

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Thanks, Ken
Hey Ken,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your detailer. Always a tough pill to swallow. It sounds like you've got the right tools, so let's divide the boat into two steps: Compounding and Waxing.

Compounding: You'll want to use the Rotary with our Wool Compounding Pad and don't be afraid to use more than one. As you know, working with clean pads that aren't loaded down with dead gelcoat and compound is important. The chemical you'll want is Buff Magic.

Always pick a test spot in the worst area of your gelcoat, a 2x2 section. You should test your method and process in this spot as a "proof of concept" for the rest of the boat. Start slower, around 1200 and ramp up to around 1800 as Buff Magic begins to break down. Most boats can be corrected in one pass, but rough ones may take two.

By the time your done, your boat should look as good as you want it to. Compounding is the correctional stage you should be happy with the appearance when your done. Again, always work with relatively clean pads

Waxing: Switch over to your DA and our Foam Polishing Pad and Pro Polish. This should go much faster as your simply laying on a layer of wax, not working it in aggressively. The pad can be more loaded with excess wax, so you shouldn't need as many. Once applied, buff of any excess with a clean microfiber towel and it should be "dullsville" no more for your SeaRay. Good luck, let me know if you have any specific questions