Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 PM
timingiseverything

I am posting my sons resent experience on this 42 Prowler. First a little background on my son, he has thousands of hrs offshore fishing and diving on many different boats YF, CV, Contender, Regulator, GW and even our little SH GF. He has sea trialed a Freeman 34 with twin 300 and the Freeman 37 with quad 300's Great Boats. It started off leaving St Pete Fl March 10th on Phil's 42 heading to the Middle Grounds about 120 mi west for a 3 night fishing trip, the weather was good and he was chilling in a bean bag until they got about 30 mi out when Phil wanted to take a break. He got up and realized it was 3-4' gulf chop thinking it was a pretty flat ocean because the ride was super smooth. Once out they began to drift fish and according to my son it felt like a party barge super stable hardly rocked. They anchored up for the night in 4-6+ and while in the back of the boat you could hardly notice you were in 4-6' seas very stable, the bow was a different story. I will fast forward to the last night when the cold front was approaching. This is when having a Prowler is important!! Out of nowhere the wind began to pick up very rapidly and the seas build instantly. They had to cut the anchor and get moving it happened so fast. Phil doesnt have a wind screen so as you can imagine 0 protection from the elements. They headed in from 120 miles out in what was described as very rough and windy conditions but the Prowler seemed pretty comfortable around 30 mph, and with a wind screen could have run 40. Once back at the dock they check the USF Weather Buoy that was about 10 miles from their location and the report said 6.9-8' with occational 10'-12' winds 35-40 knots!!! In summary the Prowler is an unbelievable fishing machine that can handle just about anything that gets throne at it. We love all boats but Bill has done an amazing job with this new design and I love the 31 also.