The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: American Samoa 2.5 k miles south of Honolulu
Posts: 334
Default Why So Few West Coasters on THT

Seems like mostly east coast people, is there another forum for west coast or just not as many boaters online from the West?
sshimanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28
Default

good question... san diego here
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,101
Default

Bloody decks forum is full of left coasters. Much less drama and a lot more fishing.
DotRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oahu Hawaii
Posts: 112
Default

Here's the link. Over the years, at least the BD-Hawaii section most of the regulars first went to facebook, now instagram and snapchat.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/
patfishhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 85
Default Ifish

In the Northwest, we subscribe to Ifish. The Saltydogs are the offshore guys.
sallysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 22
Default

I'll second bloody decks for west coast fishing related info and "local knowledge" and discussion on west coast regional stuff. THT's wealth of boating info is relevant regardless of coast though!
FishpimpII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: American Samoa 2.5 k miles south of Honolulu
Posts: 334
Default

I see a lot of posters selling outboards in Florida in particular; much less on the west coast. Due to my location 2500 miles south of Honolulu, i see the west coast and California in particular as a better possible source to power my project, just a lot less engines for sale. Hawaii has possibilities as well but stuff gets shipped there and then goes to CA to get here.....lot of logistics adds to increased $$$$
sshimanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28
Default

Bloody decks is great for fishing, but THT's boating info has been great. I'd be interested in learning about any west coast oriented "boating" forums too.
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Garibaldi , Oregon
Posts: 213
Default

The Washington Bloody Decks section is very active. You just need to have a thick skin. There is much more freedom of speech on Bloody Decks.

IFish is heavily moderated and is meant for an 8 year old language wise. Keep that in mind. Do not get BD or IFish mixed up. There is a world of style difference.

The Salty Dogs on IFish are good folks. They will offer knowledge if they know the topic. Some of the dory fishermen are the best at wood boat repairs.
ichthyoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:42 AM   #10
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: American Samoa 2.5 k miles south of Honolulu
Posts: 334
Default

I am a former Washingtonian and native Oregonian, but have been living in Hawaii and now American Samoa for the last quarter centuryI never heard of tuna offshore of the NW when growing up....seems like it is in the news a lot now though. How has the fishing been up there, I am hearing the early salmon returns are looking grim.
sshimanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 595
Default

Tuna fishing has been excellent.

Big fish and lots of them.

Either there are more fish or we are getting better at it, but most of us have been catching a lot of fish the past few years.

For some reason, we had a lot of Makos show up last year- we caught two and saw a ton of them jumping.

NW tuna is probably the best fishery in the world that nobody knows about and we are doing our best to change that.
Shake N Bake Sportfishing (formerly Colbachlaw) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N Bake Sportfishing (formerly Colbachlaw) View Post
Tuna fishing has been excellent.

Big fish and lots of them.

Either there are more fish or we are getting better at it, but most of us have been catching a lot of fish the past few years.

For some reason, we had a lot of Makos show up last year- we caught two and saw a ton of them jumping.

NW tuna is probably the best fishery in the world that nobody knows about and we are doing our best to change that.
The NW tuna fishery is great but traveling 80 plus miles for some albacore in NW sea conditions is not my idea of ideal.
DotRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pismo Beach, Ca.
Posts: 3,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyoid View Post
The Washington Bloody Decks section is very active. You just need to have a thick skin. There is much more freedom of speech on Bloody Decks.

IFish is heavily moderated and is meant for an 8 year old language wise. Keep that in mind. Do not get BD or IFish mixed up. There is a world of style difference.

The Salty Dogs on IFish are good folks. They will offer knowledge if they know the topic. Some of the dory fishermen are the best at wood boat repairs.
You are correct, been a member of BD since it's inception.
Mark Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #14
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotRotten View Post
The NW tuna fishery is great but traveling 80 plus miles for some albacore in NW sea conditions is not my idea of ideal.
As you can see in this TV show we shot last October, conditions are always terrible, and we only caught 95 tuna in 3 hours, so fishing is not that good either.


Most runs are around 30 miles each way, which is not bad at 27 knots.

If you have the right boat and know how to read a forecast you don't get beat up too often.
Shake N Bake Sportfishing (formerly Colbachlaw) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #15
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: American Samoa 2.5 k miles south of Honolulu
Posts: 334
Default

That is quite the catch, how do those albacore taste fresh? Only had them in the can, are they anything like yellowfin tuna?
sshimanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #16
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshimanek View Post
That is quite the catch, how do those albacore taste fresh? Only had them in the can, are they anything like yellowfin tuna?
They actually taste better from a can. Best if you have someone jar them fresh. White meat with no fat has to be marinated and cooked almost through to eat Not Sashimi quality at all. stick with yft or Bigeye.
DotRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #17
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake N Bake Sportfishing (formerly Colbachlaw) View Post
As you can see in this TV show we shot last October, conditions are always terrible, and we only caught 95 tuna in 3 hours, so fishing is not that good either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dTs4LyF84M

Most runs are around 30 miles each way, which is not bad at 27 knots.

If you have the right boat and know how to read a forecast you don't get beat up too often.
Very nice. The last time I caught an Albie down here was around 1995 but I have not fished much lately. Seems like the NW is the hot spot the past few years for them. Thoughts on why they have been by passing socal waters? Water temp, or better more bait heavy water in the NW?
fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #18
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
Very nice. The last time I caught an Albie down here was around 1995 but I have not fished much lately. Seems like the NW is the hot spot the past few years for them. Thoughts on why they have been by passing socal waters? Water temp, or better more bait heavy water in the NW?
Global warming??

There was an interesting video of the track of an albacore tagged off of WA.

It never crossed the ocean during the winter, it just hung out a offshore and then came back the following July.

It never went south, so either these are different fish from the CA fish or the CA fish headed north.

Last year we saw a bunch of Makos, which has never happened before.

Something is definitely changing up here, as our seasons get earlier and earlier.
Shake N Bake Sportfishing (formerly Colbachlaw) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
Very nice. The last time I caught an Albie down here was around 1995 but I have not fished much lately. Seems like the NW is the hot spot the past few years for them. Thoughts on why they have been by passing socal waters? Water temp, or better more bait heavy water in the NW?
Tracking studies have shown that the biomass of pacific albacore that crash the PNW canyons in the summer months are not the same fish that (used to) hit SoCal. there seems to be two different distinct migratory paths across the pacific, ie, a fish that is tagged in SoCal early in the season won't migrate up the coast to the PNW in the summer, or vise versa. Now as to why the albacore fishery has dropped off in SoCal? possibly a combination of heavy fishing and changing sea conditions, although admittedly, I haven't researched too much into that. With regards to the increased PNW tuna action, I believe that there's just way more effort into the fishery and much more knowledge being shared between anglers, if you ask the old guard of commercial albacore trollers, they say the fishing hasn't changed much over the last 30 years, my uncle commercial fished for tuna off of Queen Charlotte Island in the 70's and 80's every fall at the end of the salmon season. Some years are better than others but generally speaking, it's been pretty consistent for many of those guys. I think the season is getting longer because we are pushing it harder, trying earlier in the season, sticking it out til mid October, dodging the fall storms. No sport boats bothered with that just a few years ago.
harper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotRotten View Post
They actually taste better from a can. Best if you have someone jar them fresh. White meat with no fat has to be marinated and cooked almost through to eat Not Sashimi quality at all. stick with yft or Bigeye.
Can't say I've ever heard that before. Been eating Pacific Albacore my whole life and love it, seared, raw, cooked, smoked, canned, whatever. Its great stuff. at $4.00/pound whole to the commercial trollers I'd say the market agrees. Also eaten lots of Ahi, and BFT, they are also good, BFT is my favorite for sashimi. never had bigeye so I can't comment on that one.
harper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:04 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.