The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Trucks & Trailers
Search

Notices

Random Quote: Sir Francis Drake circumcised the world with a 100 foot clipper which was very dangerous to all his men".
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 AM
  #1    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashley River
Posts: 3,618
Default Used Ram 1500, Chevy 1500 or F150??

Looking at the used truck market for a DD and something to better tow my 19 SeaPro. 03-07, 70-90k miles - 10-15k range. Prices seem to be the best for the Ram, I like the Chevy and I have a bad taste for Fords due to a total 94 POS F150 and the market is flush with 6 bangers - but I do like the newer F150's

Been reading/searching THT and I see the Ram Hemi is the better option for Rams. Any major issues with the other brands, any engines/trannies to watch out for with the Ford/Chevy?

Thanks
Jughed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM
  #2    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: IBX, NC
Posts: 159
Default

Theyre all good trucks. You cant go wrong with the 5.3 vortec engine IMO.
shucker is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-24-2012, 07:31 AM
  #3    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location:
Posts: 134
Default

I had the same boat and had a 04 silverado z71. I loved the truck but had to let it go after 120,000. 03-05 GMC products had some reoccurring issues. The final straw for me was when I was chasing coolant leak and it turned out I had porosity cracks in the heads which is a common problem for those years. I also had my voltage gauge crap out and my speedo started to, another common problem. Dealer wanted $600, I found the stepper motors on ebay for $40 and replaced them all myself. I had the valve body go out at 75,000. And some other items, ball joints, front differential seals, both wheel bearings, constant dual climate ac issues. However, that truck pulled my seapro great, had plenty of power, and got great gas mileage.

I now have a NBS 1500 and absolutely love it. I would stay away from 3 valve f150's and personally, I would never own another dodge product unless it had a cummins in it.

Here is the service bulletin that talks about the heads having porosity cracks.

#06-06-01-019B: Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time with No Evidence of Leak Found - (Jun 12, 2007)


Subject: Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time With No Evidence of Leak Found


Models: 2004-2006 Buick Rainier

2001-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2001-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Blazer, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer Models

2001-2006 GMC Envoy, Jimmy, Sierra, Yukon Models

2001-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

with 4.8L or 5.3L VORTECŪ GEN III, GEN IV V8Engine (VINs V, T, M, B, Z -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LH6, L33, L59)




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to include engine RPO L59. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-01-019A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some vehicles may experience a gradual coolant loss over time. A very low percentage of cylinder head(s) manufactured with an embossed Castech logo may develop a porosity crack in a very specific area.

Inspect the cylinder head assembly to determine if the casting was manufactured by Castech. This can be accomplished by inspecting for their casting logo located on top of the intake port, under the rocker arm support rail and in the spring deck cavity portion of the cylinder head.

Important: If the cylinder head(s) are Not a Castech casting, follow normal diagnostic procedures in SI to determine the cause of the coolant loss.
lowcountry-sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 AM
  #4    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: powhatan va
Posts: 845
Default

My 05 had the head problem and they warrantied it way out of warranty
Badfishsportfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM
  #5    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Smithfield, NC
Posts: 153
Default

I am partial to Rams. I had a 2002 ram 1500 4x4 and it was one of the best trucks I have ever owned. The only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted a new truck and I upgraded to a 2500 with a Cummins. I would get a Ram 1500 again if I was in the market for that kind of truck.
__________________

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
2005 Hydra-Sports 2500CC w/ twin Yamaha F250
Tuna_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 AM
  #6    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashley River
Posts: 3,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountry-sc View Post
I had the same boat and had a 04 silverado z71. I loved the truck but had to let it go after 120,000. 03-05 GMC products had some reoccurring issues. The final straw for me was when I was chasing coolant leak and it turned out I had porosity cracks in the heads which is a common problem for those years. I also had my voltage gauge crap out and my speedo started to, another common problem. Dealer wanted $600, I found the stepper motors on ebay for $40 and replaced them all myself. I had the valve body go out at 75,000. And some other items, ball joints, front differential seals, both wheel bearings, constant dual climate ac issues. However, that truck pulled my seapro great, had plenty of power, and got great gas mileage.

I now have a NBS 1500 and absolutely love it. I would stay away from 3 valve f150's and personally, I would never own another dodge product unless it had a cummins in it.

Here is the service bulletin that talks about the heads having porosity cracks.

#06-06-01-019B: Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time with No Evidence of Leak Found - (Jun 12, 2007)


Subject: Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time With No Evidence of Leak Found


Models: 2004-2006 Buick Rainier

2001-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2001-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Blazer, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer Models

2001-2006 GMC Envoy, Jimmy, Sierra, Yukon Models

2001-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

with 4.8L or 5.3L VORTECŪ GEN III, GEN IV V8Engine (VINs V, T, M, B, Z -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LH6, L33, L59)




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to include engine RPO L59. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-01-019A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some vehicles may experience a gradual coolant loss over time. A very low percentage of cylinder head(s) manufactured with an embossed Castech logo may develop a porosity crack in a very specific area.

Inspect the cylinder head assembly to determine if the casting was manufactured by Castech. This can be accomplished by inspecting for their casting logo located on top of the intake port, under the rocker arm support rail and in the spring deck cavity portion of the cylinder head.

Important: If the cylinder head(s) are Not a Castech casting, follow normal diagnostic procedures in SI to determine the cause of the coolant loss.
Thanks for the info-

NBS 1500?

Thats an asston of problems for one truck - they cant all be that bad? Can they?

If the Chevy has that many problems, the Ford 3 valves are no good and you don't like the Ram's... Tundra?
Jughed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 AM
  #7    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashley River
Posts: 3,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna_Maniac View Post
I am partial to Rams. I had a 2002 ram 1500 4x4 and it was one of the best trucks I have ever owned. The only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted a new truck and I upgraded to a 2500 with a Cummins. I would get a Ram 1500 again if I was in the market for that kind of truck.
Thanks...
Miles? Any issues?
Jughed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM
  #8    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: S. FLA
Posts: 469
Default

I test drove all 3 a few months back. I drove the ecoboost and 5.0L model F-150's. I really like that ecoboost but I drove the Dodge Ram Hemi after and by far an all around nicer truck and way more balls then the F150 too. It's just an all around better value for the money and comes with way more options. Even the Ford salesman said that he thinks Dodge new Ram has the F150 beat on interior. Not a fan of the Chevy because to me I felt like I was in a rental truck...just felt cheap inside...

I should add that all where 4 full doors and 4x4 package.
reeferog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 AM
  #9    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location:
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughed View Post
Thanks for the info-

NBS 1500?

Thats an asston of problems for one truck - they cant all be that bad? Can they?

If the Chevy has that many problems, the Ford 3 valves are no good and you don't like the Ram's... Tundra?
NBS is the New Body Style which are 2006 and newer. I have a 2010 that I am very happy with. GM realized they needed to get their stuff together and do it right.

The only real problem with the 3 valve Fords are the sparkplugs have a tendency to break. A $60 spark plug change will turn into a $600 one real quick. Ford F series are great trucks.

With my 04 chevy, it did have a lot of issues, but it was still a great truck only because I fixed everything myself. If you find one that is problem free with a 100,000, I think you have a good one except for the risk of the castech heads. But you can have a mechanic look and check for them. I have plenty of picks in photobucket of DIY brakes, balljoints, seals, etc. GM products are easy for me to work on. If you can find a 2wd pickup with a 4.3, you will have a bullet proof truck.

Tundras are great trucks. If you can afford one, get one. I know some of the first year 5.7 had some issues with a camshaft causing some issues, but that was fixed quickly.

I had a 2001 Ram. Motor was great but the mileage sucked and the entire was cheap and flimsy. Even the new model interiors I am not a fan of. That is the only reason why I said I personally don't care for them.

All the big 3 (4 with toyota, I honestly don't know anything about Titans) are going to have their own problems. My suggestion is to look at them all and make your decision on the condition and how the truck feels to you since it will be a DD. Pay a little extra to have a mechanic inspect it for you. And plan on dumping some money into it. It seems like most used trucks are for sale because someone had a reason to get rid of it.
lowcountry-sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM
  #10    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 7,841
Default

Been partial to GM for a long time and still am... but I really do not like the bail-out deal. Thet said the GM trucks are nice. The current F150 is a great truck too. There's usually a reason resale on a particular brand is lower than the others.
__________________
Back-in-Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
  #11    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 126
Default

not to derail the thread but if I was going to buy into the used truck market I would go with the chevy or gmc 2500. Better frame, brakes, shocks, etc. If you can afford the diesel even better.
pk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:25 PM
  #12    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Bought my 05 Dodge quad cab 4x4 with hemi used 5 years ago. Only had a few minor issues. Best truck I have ever owned. It is thirsty though, 12 in town maybe 15 on the highway.
Fourbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:20 PM
  #13    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashley River
Posts: 3,618
Default

thanks for the info ...
Jughed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 PM
  #14    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 373
Default

I use a Silverado 1500 to pull a 21 Parker and while I love the ride of the truck I think GM used absolutly crap components to build it. The brake rotors rotted apart, brake lines rotted out (very scary and very common), Differential cover rotted out, failed alternator, leaking A/C compressor, the truck has 36,000 miles and every time I have to deal with one of these issues I'm told "oh that happens all the time" I've been a certified Honda technition for 30 years and I'm just can't believe this crap is normal.
Steve 08753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:17 PM
  #15    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Default

I also pull a 22 bayboat around 4000 with gear and fuel never any faster than 60-65 and get around 10mpg. Absolutely no problem pulling this load.
Fourbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:56 PM
  #16    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 28
Default

If you can a well cared for/maintained truck any of the 3 will be fine.

I am partial to GM though. My vote would be an 07,08 GM with the 5.3 3.73. 4.10 would be even better just less common.
Dexter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:52 AM
  #17    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashley River
Posts: 3,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 08753 View Post
I use a Silverado 1500 to pull a 21 Parker and while I love the ride of the truck I think GM used absolutly crap components to build it. The brake rotors rotted apart, brake lines rotted out (very scary and very common), Differential cover rotted out, failed alternator, leaking A/C compressor, the truck has 36,000 miles and every time I have to deal with one of these issues I'm told "oh that happens all the time" I've been a certified Honda technition for 30 years and I'm just can't believe this crap is normal.
This is my concernt. Seems like many truck suffer from these issues, and people think they are normal?? I am used to cars that run 150k++ with no issues, to me-that is normal.

Your post is what I am looking for, the nickle and dime BS... thats exactly the type problems I had with my F150, and I want to avoid them if possible.
Jughed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 AM
  #18    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 7,358
Default

I've said a few times on here that the Hemi is one of my favorite engines, I've owned 3 and couldn't be happier. People will bash Dodge for their transmissions and I've been the victim of one of those as well. I think the 05-06 Ram trucks are great, just modern enough without too much nonsense to go wrong.

Are you looking for a quad cab or single?

If you were going used I'd be trying to stay in the $13k or under range. I bought a 2005 Ram Hemi Single Cab with low miles for $6500 (it was a steal) and traded it in at the dealer a few months later for $7500. Had the tall gears and the truck was a bat out of hell, absolute blast to drive.

Once you're at $15k and above, IMO new becomes pretty attractive especially with finance deals out there. Low $20s will get you into a brand new Ram, and the 2013s will have the 300 hp v6 and 8 speed transmission.. or great time to deal on a 2012.
__________________
--
Cape Horn 31
Flot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:43 AM
  #19    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ashley River
Posts: 3,618
Default

Flot, I need a quad cab for the kids. I've seen plenty of Hemi Quads that fall into the price range... clean trucks.

How did the other parts of your Ram(s) hold up? Any of the nickle dime crap?
Jughed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:51 AM
  #20    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 7,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughed View Post
Flot, I need a quad cab for the kids. I've seen plenty of Hemi Quads that fall into the price range... clean trucks.

How did the other parts of your Ram(s) hold up? Any of the nickle dime crap?
Yeah, I'd be shooting for a Hemi QC in the $11-12k range and I think you could do pretty well.

I'm on my 4th Dodge, it's been 2 Durangos and 2 Rams but honestly didn't have enough seat time on the prev gen Ram to tell you about little things, quality was okay all around IMO with the engine being the highlight. I do my own wrenching though and was happy enough with the way the 2005 was put together that I bought a 2011.

There were a couple common issues I recall, dash cracking and AC blend door (or fresh / recirc door?) problems, the AC problem was something like $800 for a dealer fix or $20 if you were patient and determined to DIY it through the glove box hole. A good friend had an 04 and no issues to speak of. Also thought it was remarkable how many I saw for sale with 140,000+ miles on them in pretty good shape.
__________________
--
Cape Horn 31
Flot is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0