The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eroc1
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 122
Default 2017 Eastern LI Sound Fishing (PT JEFF- MT SINAI-MATTITUCK-ORIENT)

How's the fishing been? Pt Jefferson, Mt Sinai, Mattituck, Orient and anywhere inbetween?
kilodelta75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location:
Posts: 92
Default

Glad to see this thread started. Hopefully others join in.

It's been slow the last few times I got out. I'm going to try and get out this weekend.
mbg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbg75 View Post
Glad to see this thread started. Hopefully others join in.

It's been slow the last few times I got out. I'm going to try and get out this weekend.
I was interested in how the action is, I was debating pulling my boat and doing a transient dockage in the area when i go on vacation.
kilodelta75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 1,803
Default

Little past your area, but there were some good size blues in the Race yesterday afternoon. Was nice to see, have been mostly catching the smaller ones this year.
rwmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location:
Posts: 92
Default

Got out for a few hours this morning. Drifted a few areas for Seabass. Steady action but only ended up with 2 keepers.
While drifting for Seabass, hooked a few Fluke in 50ft of water out by middlegrounds.
mbg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 168
Default east end fishing

The fishing in the eastern end of the sound is not as good as it should be. Doesn’t sound like the west end is much better. I think that it is because the water quality sucks. The DEEP says that it is fine, the hypoxia level are only bad in a few spots. I call BS. The hypoxia levels may be fine but, I believe the shit they are putting on the streets, the mosquito spraying and the fertilizers are screwing up the water. The water is very cloudy. Fishing at Block and Montauk is great, been killing the fluke and jumbo seabass. Haven’t been trying for stripers but, I know it has been good. Burning a lot of fuel this year.
dstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 122
Default

Any reports? Fishing can't be that bad is it?? LOL.
kilodelta75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #8
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 168
Default report

seabass and porgy fishing is good. Lots of blues, very few fluke and stripers.
dstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:57 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Default

the fishing on both shores especially fluke has been bad.something is wrong.the fishing gets worse every year
joe009a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: woodbury,ct
Posts: 338
Default

Anyone run into any albies yet?
NRGarrott likes this.
Eroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroc1 View Post
Anyone run into any albies yet?
Hopefully soon!
NRGarrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location:
Posts: 92
Default

Nice to see the wind lay down a bit. We caught a nice weakfish while porgy fishing this evening.
mbg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 AM   #13
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: nassau county
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstriper View Post
The fishing in the eastern end of the sound is not as good as it should be. Doesn’t sound like the west end is much better. I think that it is because the water quality sucks. The DEEP says that it is fine, the hypoxia level are only bad in a few spots. I call BS. The hypoxia levels may be fine but, I believe the shit they are putting on the streets, the mosquito spraying and the fertilizers are screwing up the water. The water is very cloudy. Fishing at Block and Montauk is great, been killing the fluke and jumbo seabass. Haven’t been trying for stripers but, I know it has been good. Burning a lot of fuel this year.
Your missing something here, The fish are migratory, their here for the summer season, its not like they can choose to just summer in nantucket instead of the Race.They follow the bait. I think you had a similar response to my thread about local/gobal fishery being down.
The cloudy thing, I'm not convinced. The current in the Race is averaged @ 5 knots. I don't think water run off from the streets from Mosq. and fert. is making the race cloudy but not effecting Montauk .
I do think the chemicals affect the fish but think there are several reasons why across the world , the fishing is down. It will never come back to where it once was.
Our world is big yet closed, Over fishing, commercially. and environmental concerns have changed things for our small part of L I , and across the globe.
I get sick of the Traffic, there are too many people here on the Island, the North Folk used to be quiet and a beautiful place to go, now its all yuppies in the SUV's coming out for the wkend. I can't wait to GTF out.
ken the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken the plumber View Post
Your missing something here, The fish are migratory, their here for the summer season, its not like they can choose to just summer in nantucket instead of the Race.They follow the bait. I think you had a similar response to my thread about local/gobal fishery being down.
The cloudy thing, I'm not convinced. The current in the Race is averaged @ 5 knots. I don't think water run off from the streets from Mosq. and fert. is making the race cloudy but not effecting Montauk .
I do think the chemicals affect the fish but think there are several reasons why across the world , the fishing is down. It will never come back to where it once was.
Our world is big yet closed, Over fishing, commercially. and environmental concerns have changed things for our small part of L I , and across the globe.
I get sick of the Traffic, there are too many people here on the Island, the North Folk used to be quiet and a beautiful place to go, now its all yuppies in the SUV's coming out for the wkend. I can't wait to GTF out.
Believe me, I totally agree with cycles. This is more than a cycle thing. They (the state)already paid off the lobstermen because they know the f**ed up the lobster population.
dstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 49
Default

Spent the season fishing Peconic Bay and definitely not the place I want to be in '18. Montauk is out for me leaving the Western and Eastern Sound as my two likely options. I would prefer the East End. Would love to see a nice network develop here. As Ken the Plumber says, The North Fork is not what it use to be, but that being said, it is the last part of Long Island that has any resemblance to the Long Island I grew up on. On another note, any East Enders run over to Ct.?
tonyc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: kings park ny
Posts: 276
Default

Albies are in Matittuck
squid711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 16
Default

Fish out of Clinton on the CT side but run across to Mattituck now and then. Had some good days on the fluke back at the end of may early June. Seabassing out in the middle was solid. CT side has been slow since beginning of august. Not many bass and blues are sporadic.
natem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location:
Posts: 92
Default

Flat day yesterday. Trolled the middle and found a mess of blues. Swapped over to bottom fishing and picked up some nice Seabass.
mbg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: STRATFORD CT
Posts: 1,175
Default

I'm from stratford ct going out Sunday morning at 4 am I do mostly over night fishing in the sound. Almost 100 percent positive a buddy and I was visited by a breaching whale august 27th out in the middle of the sound at 1:30 am. Dead silence no one else out there and out of no where splashing noise followed by the sound of the blow hole and then some waves. Back to silence. It was a little creepy. Blues are scarce this summer. Not hitting the poles since there is so much bunker that didn't die off this year due to the heat and oxegyn levels. Will update Sunday out from the boat. I mainly fish from Milford to Westport both sides of the sound ct and ny
captlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.