The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #21
Senior Member
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the very nice thread. I will appreciate your help on this. I have a push on-off-push on switch on my boat toilet. Pushing up flushes the toilet and pushing doing activates the pump of the holding tank. I am now installing a new holding tank with level sensor. The level sensor triggers when the holding tank is 50% full and I wanna connect it with the switch so when the sensor triggers the light of the switch to turn on. Can you please tell me on which terminals I should connect the two wires? Sensor has two wires a brown/white and a brown. Instructions says that brown/white goes to battery + and brown goes to light indicator plus terminal. So I guess I will have to connect the brown/white to my battery plus and run a wire from my battery negative to the switch. Where should I connect the brown wire coming from the sensor and where the one coming from battery?

Thank you in advance.
If you have VLD1 A60B (like we stock for that type), then you're connect the + to pin 8 (top left) to make the light turn on when the level switch turns on.

If you don't have an independent lamp (like described above), then you'd connect it to whatever pin (probably 3) turns the bulb on.

If #1 above doesnt work I suggest using a 9V battery to plat around with the terminals and see which one makes the like shine (will be dim with a 9V battery).

remember pin 7 (top right) is always the negative... take a look at my pin outs above.

thanks!
NewWireMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Default

I was just Googling to find the answer to this question and came upon this thread.

I recently bought 3 SPDT Carling Tech Contura V switches, which have independent red/green LEDs. I'm trying to figure out how to wire them so that at least one (if not both) of the LEDs are *dependent* on switch position. Right now I have the positive side of both LEDs wired to the output side of the switch, so as long as the switch is on in either direction, *both* LEDs come on.

Just as an example, I have one side of the switch wired to a constant +12V source (position A) and the other to a +12V source that is triggered elsewhere (position B), so that I can choose whether the relay is manually triggered (position A) or automatically triggered (position B). But I can't figure out how to wire the LEDs so that only LED A comes on in position A and only LED B comes on in position B.
Arcteryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #23
Senior Member
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryx View Post
I was just Googling to find the answer to this question and came upon this thread.

I recently bought 3 SPDT Carling Tech Contura V switches, which have independent red/green LEDs. I'm trying to figure out how to wire them so that at least one (if not both) of the LEDs are *dependent* on switch position. Right now I have the positive side of both LEDs wired to the output side of the switch, so as long as the switch is on in either direction, *both* LEDs come on.

Just as an example, I have one side of the switch wired to a constant +12V source (position A) and the other to a +12V source that is triggered elsewhere (position B), so that I can choose whether the relay is manually triggered (position A) or automatically triggered (position B). But I can't figure out how to wire the LEDs so that only LED A comes on in position A and only LED B comes on in position B.
Well it depends on the switch... if you have the full part number I could tell you better. It may be that one of the lights is dependent already, so you just need to leave that one alone.

If you have a pin 8 (top left), then just send the switch leg from whichever terminal does not have the independent lamp (probably pin 3 or 1) up to pin 8.

Look at this diagram on page 8 and reference the part number stamped on the side of the switch... will be 4 digits starting with a "V".
NewWireMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #24
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Fork, L.I.
Posts: 1,131
Default

I recently purchased 8 switches from you guys, and now I'm assembling them in the panel and preparing to wire them- but I have a question- how do you wire them in series? If all 8 switches are to mounted side-by-side in a single strip, do you connect all the grounds together? All the hot leads to power source?? I see pictures of guys with lots of bridiging wires between swtiches, how are all the switches in the panel connected to each other?
nb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #25
Senior Member
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb123 View Post
I recently purchased 8 switches from you guys, and now I'm assembling them in the panel and preparing to wire them- but I have a question- how do you wire them in series? If all 8 switches are to mounted side-by-side in a single strip, do you connect all the grounds together? All the hot leads to power source?? I see pictures of guys with lots of bridiging wires between swtiches, how are all the switches in the panel connected to each other?
They should be wired in parallel not series... probably what you meant. But yes. Each negative (pin 7) is jumpered together typically. Occasionally it's run back to a bus bar nearby.

The positives (pin 2) should be circuit protected, then go back to a common source (the battery). If you didnt get circuit breakers from us, this would likely come from a fuse block.

feel free to post a diagram and I'll check it for you.


thanks!
-Eric
NewWireMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWireMarine View Post
Well it depends on the switch... if you have the full part number I could tell you better. It may be that one of the lights is dependent already, so you just need to leave that one alone.

If you have a pin 8 (top left), then just send the switch leg from whichever terminal does not have the independent lamp (probably pin 3 or 1) up to pin 8.

Look at this diagram on page 8 and reference the part number stamped on the side of the switch... will be 4 digits starting with a "V".
Sorry for the delayed reply...I didn't get an e-mail notification that there was one!

Part # is V6D2UHCB, so it's an SPDT, independent light switch with 7 terminals.

So I basically have +12V on one side going to terminal 8, terminal 7 is jumpered to terminal 1, and +12 V on the other side going to terminal 10, with terminal 9 jumpered to terminal 3. Terminal 2 goes to one side of the relay coil (pin 85), other side of the relay coil (pin 86) goes to ground. So the LEDs are wired in series with the switch output.

Problem I have now is that the voltage drop with the LEDs in series appears to be enough that the coil doesn't see enough voltage to trigger. I'm seeing about 10V at the relay.
Arcteryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #27
Senior Member
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryx View Post
Sorry for the delayed reply...I didn't get an e-mail notification that there was one!

Part # is V6D2UHCB, so it's an SPDT, independent light switch with 7 terminals.

So I basically have +12V on one side going to terminal 8, terminal 7 is jumpered to terminal 1, and +12 V on the other side going to terminal 10, with terminal 9 jumpered to terminal 3. Terminal 2 goes to one side of the relay coil (pin 85), other side of the relay coil (pin 86) goes to ground. So the LEDs are wired in series with the switch output.

Problem I have now is that the voltage drop with the LEDs in series appears to be enough that the coil doesn't see enough voltage to trigger. I'm seeing about 10V at the relay.
Instead of wiring the LED's in series then (b/c they do drop the voltage across them) try wiring them in parallel. So instead of jumping the switch output through the LED input, bring the switch leg (going to load) out from the switch output (ie not "through" the LED first).

Try looking at the wiring diagram on page 8 here: http://newwiremarine.com/shop/wp-con...COS-208697.pdf

If you have anymore questions please copy relevant content onto a new thread in my vendor forum... trying to keep this sticky clean.

thanks!
NewWireMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yankee Wasteland
Posts: 2,609
Default

PM sent
1fast6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Default Need Some Wiring Advice

I know this reply is well over a year old but I thought I would give it a shot to see if anyone could help. My Printed Circuit Board (PCB) on my 2003 Polar CC has deteriorated due to corrosion. I took it to a 12 v DC professional and he said the board is so far gone it is not worth salvaging.

I have searched the Internet for days trying to find a conventional control gang rocker panel with six switches that would fit nicely on my Polar. There are none. I don't want a messing looking Center Console so I'm wondering if I can eliminate the PCB and run my input wires from my console door mounted fuse panel directly to the input male terminal (#2) of each of my six rocker switches, then connect the negative input wire to the first negative terminal on the first switch then jump from negative to negative on all six switches and finally, connect the wire of each accessory on the load terminal of each switch.

By doing it this way it will allow me to keep the original switch panel that fits properly and is made for the boat. I can replace the rocker switches over time as needed.

Am I on the right track with this line of thought?

Thanks
marshoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 9
Smile Help with Contura Nav/Anc switch

I was refinishing the aluminum console cover and carefully (I thought) marked and removed the wiring from my contura switches on my console cover. All seemed to go back together correctly except for the complicated Nav/Anchor light switch. I think one of the cables is mis-connected, and looking for advice as to how to pinpoint the problem.

My primary question has to do with a bank of 5 red lamps normally hidden behind the console cover and attached to aluminum brackets at the back of the contura switches. What is the purpose of these lights? All five light up when I set the switch to the "Nav" lights ON position. I'm presuming these lights indicate some sort of error, like a grounding problem.

Interestingly,the Starboard and All Around Nav lights work, but the Port side green nav light doesn't (And I know the bulb works).

The boat is a center console and has the two front facing nav lights, and an all around light on the T Top. Any help would be appreciated. http://www.thehulltruth.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Attached Images
  
jfn1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 9
Default

On my previous message, it just dawned on me that these are likely backlights to illuminate a strip (not re-installed yet) that has the legend for each of the switches. So my only issue is figuring out why the Port side nav light is not functioning . . .
jfn1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #33
Senior Member
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn1000 View Post
On my previous message, it just dawned on me that these are likely backlights to illuminate a strip (not re-installed yet) that has the legend for each of the switches. So my only issue is figuring out why the Port side nav light is not functioning . . .
I believe you are correct with that.

TO ALL: In the future please start a new thread on my vendor forum if you need assistance, instead of posting inside our sticky here!!
NewWireMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #34
Senior Member
Marine Advertiser
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 163
Default

This thread is quite old, but is also quite popular... I started out with the best intentions of posting useful wiring diagrams, but I wanted to revisit that idea with this post.

Here's a rocker switch wiring diagram that uses a specialty switch (ON-OFF-ON double independent lamp) to send power to two loads, while maintaining both a backlight and a double position indicator light... pretty neat!











I dunno... what do you think? Is this useful? Do you guys want to see more articles like this?
NewWireMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #35
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 404
Default

Great thread for reference. Thanks!
lwr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #36
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Aston, PA/Sea Isle, NJ
Posts: 215
Default

Really enjoy this thread but the diagrams don't show!?
Something about a Photobucket update.
Can this please be done?
Thanks!
Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.