The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 7,261
Default cheapest way to add fuel flow to boat?

I assume that buying an HDS 5 and adding the EP-10 would be the way to go, since you get a GPS/FF as a bonus?
midcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Catawba Island, Ohio
Posts: 1,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcap View Post
I assume that buying an HDS 5 and adding the EP-10 would be the way to go, since you get a GPS/FF as a bonus?
I have a garmin GFS 10 fuel monitor - hooked up to my Display via nmea 2000. I think the fuel monitor was just over $100.
Catn TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 7,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catn TJ View Post
I have a garmin GFS 10 fuel monitor - hooked up to my Display via nmea 2000. I think the fuel monitor was just over $100.
that was another thought. buying an old 545 or somthing.
midcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 235
Default

I have GFS 10s hooked to a Garmin GPS Map 441s and it works well.
Stephan
stephansloan@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,460
Default

While fuel-flow monitoring is a nice option to maximize cheapest cruise-speed and tab settings, my first priority is finding an accurate fuel tank-level sender. When dealing with an irregularly-shaped tank, fuel level is just a guess, and few (any?) senders have capability of doing a multi-point calibration. I try to abide by the "rule of thirds", damned-near impossible on present boat with a tapered tank shape.

It's like typical car fuel gage, intentionally biased to show little fuel use after filling tank, then falls at 3x the rate after hitting the 1/2-full reading. Many newer cars can display an estimate of miles-until-empty, but most seem to be very wishful thinking.

I carry two 5-gal. plastic cans on swim platform , just in case...
Karl in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 7,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl in NY View Post
While fuel-flow monitoring is a nice option to maximize cheapest cruise-speed and tab settings, my first priority is finding an accurate fuel tank-level sender. When dealing with an irregularly-shaped tank, fuel level is just a guess, and few (any?) senders have capability of doing a multi-point calibration. I try to abide by the "rule of thirds", damned-near impossible on present boat with a tapered tank shape.

It's like typical car fuel gage, intentionally biased to show little fuel use after filling tank, then falls at 3x the rate after hitting the 1/2-full reading. Many newer cars can display an estimate of miles-until-empty, but most seem to be very wishful thinking.

I carry two 5-gal. plastic cans on swim platform , just in case...
I was planning on using it for total fuel burn myself.
midcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #7
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,512
Default

There are a number of gauges that may or may not work for less money. The Simrad is-35 has a fuel management page that I really like. It is about $350. I am not sure whether you have to have a mfd in addition to it though. I think you may also have to have a fuel manager (old ep-85) for your memory.
Akgoff4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have GFS 10s hooked to a Garmin GPS Map 441s and it works well.
Stephan
Connected direct and not via N2K?
Reel Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
Connected direct and not via N2K?
No- NEMA 2000 networked. I was also able to integrate my VHF with the GPS on the NEMA 2000 network.
stephansloan@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 4,250
Default

I actually removed the standard fuel guage and went with a GFS 10. It will be networked in so I will be able to see how much fuel has passed through on multiple devises. That will be my gauge from now on.
Stickbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 AM   #11
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 7,533
Default

I have an EP-60 connected via N2K to my GO7XSE. Works perfectly.

You can also connect a GFS-10 and it will work as the data is transmitted in the same fashion along N2K. Only downside is if a software release is issued you would need a Garmin device to push it out to the GFS-10.
Parthery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 7,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthery View Post
I have an EP-60 connected via N2K to my GO7XSE. Works perfectly.

You can also connect a GFS-10 and it will work as the data is transmitted in the same fashion along N2K. Only downside is if a software release is issued you would need a Garmin device to push it out to the GFS-10.
interesting. that's a cool unit.
midcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:21 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.