The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Marine Electronics Forum
Search

Notices

Random Quote: THT'ers can pick the fly sh!t out of the pepper
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
  #1    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ORANGE CT.
Posts: 25
Smile E-tec software.

Just received the new 2010 Eninrude E-tec service Manual and it suggest
using the diagnostic software version 4.0 p/n 765338 to check out stored service codes and other tests, along with a interface cable p/n 437955.
Ok my question is how can in get the software and cable?
Must I go back to the dealer? or is there a websight out there I can get this stuff at.
Any input would be appreciated
Big Angler
big angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 AM
  #2    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big angler View Post
Just received the new 2010 Eninrude E-tec service Manual and it suggest
using the diagnostic software version 4.0 p/n 765338 to check out stored service codes and other tests, along with a interface cable p/n 437955.
Ok my question is how can in get the software and cable?
Must I go back to the dealer? or is there a websight out there I can get this stuff at.
Any input would be appreciated
Big Angler
Cable you can get--software-only at the dealer

IKAT
IKAT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
  #3    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 816
Default

I give complete details on how to fabricate an RS-232 to E-TEC EMM interface cable in

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002257.html

The Evinrude Diagnostic Software is typically not sold at the dealer, however it appears to be widely distributed by various unauthorized sources. I am not one of them.
jhebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
  #4    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Weeki Wachee (home of the mermaids), FL
Posts: 11,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebert View Post
I give complete details on how to fabricate an RS-232 to E-TEC EMM interface cable in

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002257.html

The Evinrude Diagnostic Software is typically not sold at the dealer, however it appears to be widely distributed by various unauthorized sources. I am not one of them.
The dealer won't sell the software, as he gets one hour labor for putting your Etec on the computer. And if you can buy it, chances are it's not the latest, with all the updates...
__________________

The Aquasport Boat Club
seabob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
  #5    
PBK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks,

I used your instructions to make a cable this spring, works great!

For the OP I would suggest you have a look over at the etec owners group http://www.etecownersgroup.com/ , I'm sure you will find a lot of helpful information over there.
PBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM
  #6    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 12,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebert View Post
The Evinrude Diagnostic Software is typically not sold at the dealer, however it appears to be widely distributed by various unauthorized sources. I am not one of them.
Most people express their hatred for boat and motor thieves. I wonder how they feel about the customers of those thieves?

It might be interesting to see how many are willing to accept stolen property from the thief that first stole Evinrudes Intellectual property (the software) or from others that are illegally in possession of the software.

From your comment that the software has been widely distributed, there seems to already be a number of boaters that are in the possession of the stolen property.
__________________
-Maintenance is not a dirty word.
-The quality of a product may be directly related to the quality of maintenance given to that product.
-A coincidence that better maintenance = less manufacturing defects? I think not.
jethro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
  #7    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 2,387
Default

Not necessarily stolen property.

Once a product is purchased from a vendor it becomes the exclusive property of the buyer. The buyer then is able to sell the property to whomever he/she pleases unless the original buyer and the vendor have entered into a contract forbidding the onward selling of the property. This is often accompanied by a buy back agreement.

Unauthorized reproduction and sale of copyrighted property is another story and is clearly illegal theft of intellectual property.

Attempts to limit the distribution of proprietary troubleshooting devices/software are bound to fail as a free market economy demands competition for business beyond a dealer network of approved shops. The automotive business has long since given up on attempts to stifle competition.

Any owner of an engine should be able to effect repair of the engine without being forced to have it done by a dealer network service outlet.
__________________
Butch in
Lower Alabama
Butch Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:26 AM
  #8    
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,454
Default

[quote=jhebert;3484178

The Evinrude Diagnostic Software is typically not sold at the dealer, however it appears to be widely distributed by various unauthorized sources. I am not one of them.[/QUOTE]


Using this unauthorized source has more than a few risks.
All it takes is one "practical joker" to add a few unwanted bugs.

I use several E-tec's and normally am a long way from a dealer and wish Evinrude would provide easy access to diagnostic software on its web site .
Considering the fact that this is a software driven engine it would be nice for me to know the condition of my "lifeline" as my fishing in often in some very difficult Alaskan conditions.
__________________


MARINE ELECTRONICS & TRANSDUCER SALES
PM me here on THT or 1(800) 925-0341 Email: travis.g@sbcglobal.net
Feel free to contact me for any help & assistance. ...Gil....

Marine Electronics and Transducer Special
http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...t-members.html

Click link for Garmin Specials:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...now-stock.html

Last edited by semperfifishing; 01-25-2011 at 05:39 AM.
semperfifishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM
  #9    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 21,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post
Not necessarily stolen property.

Once a product is purchased from a vendor it becomes the exclusive property of the buyer. The buyer then is able to sell the property to whomever he/she pleases unless the original buyer and the vendor have entered into a contract forbidding the onward selling of the property. This is often accompanied by a buy back agreement.

Unauthorized reproduction and sale of copyrighted property is another story and is clearly illegal theft of intellectual property.

Attempts to limit the distribution of proprietary troubleshooting devices/software are bound to fail as a free market economy demands competition for business beyond a dealer network of approved shops. The automotive business has long since given up on attempts to stifle competition.

Any owner of an engine should be able to effect repair of the engine without being forced to have it done by a dealer network service outlet.
Software is "intellectual property". If you bother to read the licensing agreement that comes with it, you will find that you did not "buy" the software, you bought a license to use it. The licensing agreement dictates how you may use the software. Use of the software (copying, reselling, giving copies to your buddies, etc.) in violation of the agreement is a crime. It's theft of intellectual property. You may not like it, but that is what you agree to when you purchase the license to use the software.

If you write your own software, you are free to license it or give it away as you wish.
__________________
Ron
2000 Camano Troll

HIGH COTTON
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery....9&gid=19068769
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
  #10    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Weeki Wachee (home of the mermaids), FL
Posts: 11,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Software is "intellectual property". If you bother to read the licensing agreement that comes with it, you will find that you did not "buy" the software, you bought a license to use it. The licensing agreement dictates how you may use the software. Use of the software (copying, reselling, giving copies to your buddies, etc.) in violation of the agreement is a crime. It's theft of intellectual property. You may not like it, but that is what you agree to when you purchase the license to use the software.

If you write your own software, you are free to license it or give it away as you wish.
This is VERY true... Ask me how I know...
__________________

The Aquasport Boat Club
seabob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
  #11    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 2,387
Default

I'm not sure you guys got what I wrote.

I didn't say software was not copyrighted intellectual property. I did say a product can be sold if purchased. If I buy a piece of software I can sell it legally unless I agree otherwise at the time of purchase. Don't read into something that which is not there.

Is the E-Tec software available only by download or is it published on disc? I don't know.
__________________
Butch in
Lower Alabama

Last edited by Butch Davis; 01-25-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
Butch Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
  #12    
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post

Any owner of an engine should be able to effect repair of the engine without being forced to have it done by a dealer network service outlet.

I see no one "forcing" anyone to have work done by a dealer.

If an owner wishes to effect repair an engine on his own he is free to do so...even if it is under warranty.
He just may not posses the correct tools,software etc.

I see no reason why the dealer should supply those items to a do it at home mechanic.

They have an investment in training,software, buildings,tools,equipment, personal and I personally do not begrudge the labor rate I pay for what little service my E-tec's have cost me.


And if an engine is under warranty and the owner wishes it to remain so, then a visit to a dealer might be a wise choice.
But it is a free choice.
Not forced.
__________________


MARINE ELECTRONICS & TRANSDUCER SALES
PM me here on THT or 1(800) 925-0341 Email: travis.g@sbcglobal.net
Feel free to contact me for any help & assistance. ...Gil....

Marine Electronics and Transducer Special
http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...t-members.html

Click link for Garmin Specials:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...now-stock.html
semperfifishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM
  #13    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 2,387
Default

Nor do I begrudge the labor rate charged by a shop be it an "authorized" shop or otherwise.

Nor do I begrudge the independent shop's ability to work on an E-Tec engine using any tools the shop has legally obtained. Who is to say they may not have the E-Tec software and they have not obtained it by legal means?

How about this scenario: A shop has been an authorized Evinrude/ Bombardier dealer/repair shop for a few years. It has all the special tools, etc, needed to work on Evinrude engines. The shop is purchased by Joe Slapshot who does not want to be an "authorized" Evinrude place, he'd rather be an independent.

Joe now owns all the equipement in the shop and hires all the former employees. Does he then have to erase the E-tec software from HIS computer? Somehow, I don't think so because Joe has bought the shop lock, stock, and barrel.

Far fetched? Yes, sure, but....

Just remember I originally said the software may not be stolen.
__________________
Butch in
Lower Alabama
Butch Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 PM
  #14    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Weeki Wachee (home of the mermaids), FL
Posts: 11,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post
Nor do I begrudge the labor rate charged by a shop be it an "authorized" shop or otherwise.

Nor do I begrudge the independent shop's ability to work on an E-Tec engine using any tools the shop has legally obtained. Who is to say they may not have the E-Tec software and they have not obtained it by legal means?

How about this scenario: A shop has been an authorized Evinrude/ Bombardier dealer/repair shop for a few years. It has all the special tools, etc, needed to work on Evinrude engines. The shop is purchased by Joe Slapshot who does not want to be an "authorized" Evinrude place, he'd rather be an independent.

Joe now owns all the equipement in the shop and hires all the former employees. Does he then have to erase the E-tec software from HIS computer? Somehow, I don't think so because Joe has bought the shop lock, stock, and barrel.

Far fetched? Yes, sure, but....

Just remember I originally said the software may not be stolen.
Butch,
And if "Joe" chooses not to re-up with BRP, then he can't get the software updates. AND, if he doesn't update within a certain time parameter, usually 90 days, then his software becomes useless. He can't do a damn thing with it. I know...

Same with Merc's CIS software. You can get by without a websync for about 60 days. After that, you are dead in the water...unless you have a dealer/OEM #...
__________________

The Aquasport Boat Club
seabob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
  #15    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 5,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post
The automotive business has long since given up on attempts to stifle competition.

Any owner of an engine should be able to effect repair of the engine without being forced to have it done by a dealer network service outlet.
Butch

Ask any independent shop owner (auto.) They kind of have and kind of haven't given up. Their direct efforts to "hog" the code information and prohibit any other code readers from using it, yes, pretty much though I believe BMW and at least one other still try.

But now they are going to "dealer service only" components and sub-assemblies. These require a bunch of special tools, high price for an independent who must have them for every brand and, worse, if some of these units are opened/serviced by a non-dealer, their warranties are voided.
__________________
KeyPineSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
  #16    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 21,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post
I'm not sure you guys got what I wrote.

I didn't say software was not copyrighted intellectual property. I did say a product can be sold if purchased. If I buy a piece of software I can sell it legally unless I agree otherwise at the time of purchase. Don't read into something that which is not there. .
I'm not sure you got what I wrote.

You may indeed buy a box containing a CD or other media and possibly an operating manual, and you own the CD, but you don't "own" the software code that's included on the CD. You own a license to use it under the conditions included in the license agreement. In general, you have purchased the right to install the software on one computer and make an archival copy for backup. In some cases, you can purchase a license for multiple computers or all the computers at a single site (building or campus).

I understand that you may not believe me or agree that this is how it should be, but this is something I know quite well from my time as a computer and network specialist in a public school system. If you choose to make copies and sell or give them away, you can face large fines or even prison time.

Let's turn this around. You spend a year witing software code expecting to be paid back for your work by licensing the software to end users. Instead of thousands of dollars pouring in, you license only a few copies because users made copies and sold them to their friends or on ebay. How would you feel about intellectual property laws?
__________________
Ron
2000 Camano Troll

HIGH COTTON
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery....9&gid=19068769
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 PM
  #17    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 5,980
Default

Ron

I'm pretty sure Butch was talking about selling his original software, and his license, to a purchaser.
KeyPineSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 AM
  #18    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 21,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyPineSavage View Post
Ron

I'm pretty sure Butch was talking about selling his original software, and his license, to a purchaser.
That's probably allowed but it should be in the license agreement. I haven't had to study one in several years. I used to have to explain, over and over again to a bunch of school teachers and administrators, why we couldn't buy one copy of, say Microsoft Word, and then install it on thirty, sixty, or six hundred computers.
__________________
Ron
2000 Camano Troll

HIGH COTTON
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery....9&gid=19068769
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 AM
  #19    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spanish Fort, Alabama
Posts: 2,387
Default

Of course it's allowed. Otherwise Walmart and lots of other software sellers are in big trouble.
__________________
Butch in
Lower Alabama
Butch Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
  #20    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 12,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post
Of course it's allowed. Otherwise Walmart and lots of other software sellers are in big trouble.
In the case of Microsoft software, I doubt that Walmart is "selling" the software. What they are probably doing is being a middle man in the licensing of the software to one particular end user.

Most software comes with a licensing agreement. In this case it is not being sold to the customer but rather he is obtaining and using it under a licensing agreement. He is the licensee and the owner of the software is the licensor.

We need an Evinrude dealer to ring in on what BRP's software license says.
__________________
-Maintenance is not a dirty word.
-The quality of a product may be directly related to the quality of maintenance given to that product.
-A coincidence that better maintenance = less manufacturing defects? I think not.
jethro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0