The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

SuperiorTackle.com
Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > Gulf Coast
Search

Notices

Random Quote: I don't drink anymore, but then I don't drink any less either!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
  #1    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
Default What boat should i get?

I am looking at getting a new or used affordalbe boat. I will mainly be using it fishing in the marsh of Louisiana with the occasional trip fishing off the beach. I want something with a shallow draft that I can get in the marsh with and fish for reds but also something that I can take out in the lakes and bays to catch specks. Also I have a family with 2 small children so I want something with a decent ride and room. Definitely need a livewell, rod holders, good fishing platform, and storage. I've looked at some carolina skiffs and also some other semi v aluminum hulls. I would appreciate any suggestions and feed back you might have.
lafourche_redfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 PM
  #2    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 7,775
Default

What is your budget? Affordable is subjective.
__________________
2013 Boggy Creek Diablo Micro, Etec 50
Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Quest 11
Paul Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 PM
  #3    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prairieville, La.
Posts: 194
Default

Yes, the budget will dictate what you can get. I bought my McKee in October with the same kind of fishing you have in mind. Its a 93 17.5' CC with a 120 Evinrude and I love the thing so far.I had set my budget at 5K and ended up getting this one for less than that after waiting for it to come down after it sat for sale for about 5 months. What I like about it is its wide and stable. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find!!
__________________

1993 Mckee Craft Offshore Fisherman/120 Evinrude
boss351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 PM
  #4    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
Default

I totally forgot that part. If buying used with cash, budget would be around $8,000. If I buy new and finance, budget would be more around $20,000 maybe $25,000. I've been kayak fishing in the marsh and other areas and I am ready to get a boat so I can take the family and go further.

Last edited by lafourche_redfisher; 12-22-2011 at 03:04 PM.
lafourche_redfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
  #5    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Biloxi, MS
Posts: 374
Default

Sounds like a 22' bay boat to me.
cobiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
  #6    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 14
Default

You think i could get a 22 for that price? new or used? You have any suggestions on brand
lafourche_redfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:52 PM
  #7    
GCC
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LouisiBama
Posts: 5,319
Default

For 20-25k you can get EXACTLY what you seem to want new.....for 8k used, you should be able to get something decent but may have to be in the right spot at the right time. As far as new boats go, I would look at some of the flats skiffs that are available, you can get em in the 18ft range set up pretty nicely....
__________________
To know what's "wrong", you must first know what's "right"...
GCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:33 PM
  #8    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 850
Default

Take a look at the 21 Carolina Skiff DLX. They may be flat but chances are you are not going out when it is rough anyway. Mine rides fine in light chop. I catch reds and specs and even amberjack, snapper, cobia, and grouper in my boat. Obviously, I pick my days. The boat is very stable, very roomy, and very efficient. I get around 4 miles to the gallon, have plenty of storage under the bow, 2 18 gallon live wells, and a 72# 24v trolling motor, and 13 rod holders. The boat is probably not a popular choice with many that want to look pretty.... but its paid for, unsinkable, and has caught more fish than alot of the "pretty" ones. If you are around New Orleans, I will take you for a ride in the lake. The boat will only be here through the holidays then I will bring her back down to the camp. PM me if you want to take a ride.

BTW, stay away from the carolina skiff semi-v

Ray
redfishray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 AM
  #9    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 7,775
Default

Finding a good reliable used boat to safely and comfortably accomodate 4 people may be a bit of a challenge at that price point. New, you can get a lot of boat for that kind of money. It must be frustrating for new people who ask questions to immediately have someone steer them in a different direction, but that is exactly what I am going to do here. Your lender will very likely give you good terms on a late model used boat. By buying a lightly used boat, you let someone else take the initial depreciation hit (which is normally substantial) and you often get some residual warranty in the process.

Give the readers a little more information on where you anticipate using the boat? Backwaters or more open bays and lakes? Do you ever anticipate going out into the Gulf?

This is a good time of year to get a good deal on a boat. Watch Craigslist closely and be prepared to jump on a good deal. They pop up regularly and don't last long. Watch Louisiana Sportsman's classifieds. http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lp...ist_ads&cat=BO A LOT of boats get posted there. One of the nice things about buying a boat from an individual in LA is that you don't have to pay tax. Buy from a dealer (unless it's consignment) or someone from out of state and you have to pay tax.

Boat Stuff in Slidell has an older Lake Skiff with a cherry Yamaha 50 HP that is newer. They want $5500 for it. I consider it a great deal and will likely be just what you are looking for. Poster GCC from above has seen it and knows it to be a good deal. You normally can't trust him, but you can on this one.

This is an example of a good deal on a newer boat with some warranty left. It's been on the market for a while, so I bet you can get it for quite a bit less. It's a consignment, so no tax.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/2732076708.html

Budget some money for electronics. You'll want a GPS and a VHF radio. You'll probably want to freshen up safety gear too.
__________________
2013 Boggy Creek Diablo Micro, Etec 50
Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Quest 11

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 12-23-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Paul Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 PM
  #10    
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Floaters
Posts: 4,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Poster GCC from above has seen it and knows it to be a good deal. You normally can't trust him, but you can on this one.
__________________
- Stephen


Miss Trial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:36 PM
  #11    
GCC
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LouisiBama
Posts: 5,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Finding a good reliable used boat to safely and comfortably accomodate 4 people may be a bit of a challenge at that price point. New, you can get a lot of boat for that kind of money. It must be frustrating for new people who ask questions to immediately have someone steer them in a different direction, but that is exactly what I am going to do here. Your lender will very likely give you good terms on a late model used boat. By buying a lightly used boat, you let someone else take the initial depreciation hit (which is normally substantial) and you often get some residual warranty in the process.

Give the readers a little more information on where you anticipate using the boat? Backwaters or more open bays and lakes? Do you ever anticipate going out into the Gulf?

This is a good time of year to get a good deal on a boat. Watch Craigslist closely and be prepared to jump on a good deal. They pop up regularly and don't last long. Watch Louisiana Sportsman's classifieds. http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lp...ist_ads&cat=BO A LOT of boats get posted there. One of the nice things about buying a boat from an individual in LA is that you don't have to pay tax. Buy from a dealer (unless it's consignment) or someone from out of state and you have to pay tax.

Boat Stuff in Slidell has an older Lake Skiff with a cherry Yamaha 50 HP that is newer. They want $5500 for it. I consider it a great deal and will likely be just what you are looking for. Poster GCC from above has seen it and knows it to be a good deal. You normally can't trust him, but you can on this one.
This is an example of a good deal on a newer boat with some warranty left. It's been on the market for a while, so I bet you can get it for quite a bit less. It's a consignment, so no tax.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/2732076708.html

Budget some money for electronics. You'll want a GPS and a VHF radio. You'll probably want to freshen up safety gear too.



Eat a fat one.......
__________________
To know what's "wrong", you must first know what's "right"...
GCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 PM
  #12    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Naples/Ft Myers
Posts: 1,179
Default

^ ^
Ft Myers Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 PM
  #13    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 7,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCC View Post
Eat a fat one.......
Can we leave your mom out of this?
__________________
2013 Boggy Creek Diablo Micro, Etec 50
Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Quest 11
Paul Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 PM
  #14    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Prairieville, La.
Posts: 194
Default

Man, thats a good comeback!!!!! LOL.....stilll Laughing!!
__________________

1993 Mckee Craft Offshore Fisherman/120 Evinrude
boss351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 PM
  #15    
GCC
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LouisiBama
Posts: 5,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Can we leave your mom out of this?
Now that we've successfully highjacked a legit thread, do you think that we can move past the immature insults and memories of shackin up with your mom back at the fish camp on cold drunken nights???? Man....the things she'd do for some Mad Dog 20/20......
__________________
To know what's "wrong", you must first know what's "right"...
GCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:49 AM
  #16    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 7,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCC View Post
Now that we've successfully highjacked a legit thread, do you think that we can move past the immature insults and memories of shackin up with your mom back at the fish camp on cold drunken nights???? Man....the things she'd do for some Mad Dog 20/20......
Based on our history I seriously doubt it.
__________________
2013 Boggy Creek Diablo Micro, Etec 50
Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Quest 11
Paul Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:51 PM
  #17    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 164
Default

hey man I have a 23 hydra sport bay boat that I am looking to sell. We are asking 25,000 firm for it. Its an 06 with 250 yamaha 4 stroke. I guarantee its one of the best big water bay boats on the market and a super price. Located in Baton Rouge pm me if you want info
Fourchondellete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:45 AM
  #18    
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Point, MS
Posts: 37
Default

I looked long and hard for my boat. I found a SEA PRO SV2100 (2005), great shape. I went through 2 old 21' Kenners before I found my Sea Pro. It's great in the marsh and good around platforms. I
have had it out 14 miles, did fine. They don't make Sea Pro boats now, look for a Tidewater same type boat.
roundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:22 AM
  #19    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 7,775
Default

I think we may have scared LaFourche Redfisher away.
__________________
2013 Boggy Creek Diablo Micro, Etec 50
Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Quest 11
Paul Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
  #20    
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Floaters
Posts: 4,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I think we may have scared LaFourche Redfisher away.
If that scared him away, he wasn't ready for this board.
__________________
- Stephen


Miss Trial is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0