The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 669
Default

First year with my first boat, thought I'd be the first one launched at my marina, but I'm working every weekend and still haven't tended to a lot of my winter boat projects. The extra pay is worth it, paying for a lot of boat needs. I'll soon have to slow down as I'm hitting some limits, in time for boating season. All of my underwater projects are done, the rest I'll happily do after launch.
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,409
Default

Anybody like pancakes?

http://www.9and10news.com/clip/13266...ninemile-point
Stand By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 21
Default

Chequamagon Bay on Superior has treated me well the last couple weeks, the bite is on!, lots of coho, a few browns, splake, and steelhead. About half came on leadcore, other half up high on boards. Good luck to everyone.
500000KV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500000KV View Post
Chequamagon Bay on Superior has treated me well the last couple weeks, the bite is on!, lots of coho, a few browns, splake, and steelhead. About half came on leadcore, other half up high on boards. Good luck to everyone.
Sweet. Not so sure about this year, Superior is on my short list of boat destinations. Keeps us up to speed on how you do up there. It's sounding like Huron may be wakening up with some of the Atlantic's that have been planted.
Stand By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Grove City, Ohio, USA
Posts: 31
Default

I splash this Saturday weather permitting in Huron.
Planeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 1,776
Default

Spashed yesterday(finally)
Walleye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:33 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southgate, MI. 48195 USA
Posts: 2,982
Default

I launched last Saturday (April 22nd). It was 9 days later than I planned but at least I am in the water ready to start having some fun.


Here I am at my new home at the Gibraltar Boat Yard.


RGrew176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #48
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrew176 View Post
I launched last Saturday (April 22nd). It was 9 days later than I planned but at least I am in the water ready to start having some fun.


Here I am at my new home at the Gibraltar Boat Yard.
RGrew - how's the port side transmission working? I saw you were having some issues on your trip to storage. Also, very nice Carver!
andycfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 669
Default

In, but still not quite legal. Got the horn working, Fiamm sent a new one for free! Got the new fire extinguishers mounted. Registration numbers are being made as well as the name for the back. Hopefully fully legal in a few days. Torrential rains, and they made it into the salon through the window seals. There might be a plugged window track drain there for me to work on before I get some damage to the wood interior.
Attached Images
 
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southgate, MI. 48195 USA
Posts: 2,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycfi View Post
RGrew - how's the port side transmission working? I saw you were having some issues on your trip to storage. Also, very nice Carver!
I took the boat out for a short run to check out the transmission. Seems to be OK. Further testing to come. I just have to make sure I follow the break-in instructions and do it right.
RGrew176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:38 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30West View Post
In, but still not quite legal. Got the horn working, Fiamm sent a new one for free! Got the new fire extinguishers mounted. Registration numbers are being made as well as the name for the back. Hopefully fully legal in a few days. Torrential rains, and they made it into the salon through the window seals. There might be a plugged window track drain there for me to work on before I get some damage to the wood interior.
Don't know if your salon window frames are conducive for snaps. If so, canvas window covers would help keep the rain from filling the tracks and overflowing. Just rebedded and tinted my salon windows on my old boat last summer. Canvas covers are on my short list this year.
Stand By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:04 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 669
Default

Good thought, I've seen some side windows with covers. I'll start by cleaning out the felt in the tracks and making sure the drains are clear. The felt looks unworn, but leaves and gunk might be down in the drain.
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:22 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Catawba Island, Ohio
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30West View Post
In, but still not quite legal. Got the horn working, Fiamm sent a new one for free! Got the new fire extinguishers mounted. Registration numbers are being made as well as the name for the back. Hopefully fully legal in a few days. Torrential rains, and they made it into the salon through the window seals. There might be a plugged window track drain there for me to work on before I get some damage to the wood interior.
Nice looking boat. Lake Erie weather hasn't been any better. The wind was howling away on Tuesday with Gale Warnings. Welcome to spring
Catn TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 1,776
Default

I think with all of this rain we'll definitely have an affect on the algae later this year.
Walleye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #55
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,157
Default

I was planning on getting the boat in last week but because of the weather I decided to just leave it on the trailer, it's not like I would be able to go out into the lake. The water is so stirred up it's going to take a week of calm weather before it clears up so now I'm not in any hurry.

I went to my marina Bass Haven this morning and there are only a few boats in the water, usually by this time of the season the docks are like 80% full. This weather sucks!!!!!
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Catawba Island, Ohio
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I was planning on getting the boat in last week but because of the weather I decided to just leave it on the trailer, it's not like I would be able to go out into the lake. The water is so stirred up it's going to take a week of calm weather before it clears up so now I'm not in any hurry.

I went to my marina Bass Haven this morning and there are only a few boats in the water, usually by this time of the season the docks are like 80% full. This weather sucks!!!!!
If you drove by our golf course on the other side of Catawba you'd see our fairways UNDER water my rain gauge showed 2.5" of rain since Wednesday.
Catn TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 3,326
Default

Finally three weeks ago I brought my boat from Florida. Just need to do the 200hr service and I am ready to try MI waters for the first time. Looking forward to it. Not sure which boat ramp I should try first. Maybe go on a week day 1st time to avoid crowds? I'm in Wayne cty.

Pioneer180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #58
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 205
Default

I'm in. I arrived at the yard at 9:30 yesterday. The crew was a little backed up from having lost some of Thursday and all of Friday to weather, but I was floating before noon. The weather kept getting nicer and nicer. It was tough to pack up and go home.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer180 View Post
Not sure which boat ramp I should try first. Maybe go on a week day 1st time to avoid crowds? I'm in Wayne cty.
Do you plan to try downriver / Erie first, or LSC? I would probably suggest St. Clair first. It's easier to get to as well as navigate.

If you want to explore downriver / Erie, I recommend the ramps at Elizabeth Park in Trenton.

For St. Clair, I recommend Harley Ensign DNR ramps at the end of South River Rd.

Both facilities offer lots of parking, big easy ramps and nice docks.
RollerCoastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 3,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoastr View Post
...


Do you plan to try downriver / Erie first, or LSC? I would probably suggest St. Clair first. It's easier to get to as well as navigate.

If you want to explore downriver / Erie, I recommend the ramps at Elizabeth Park in Trenton.

For St. Clair, I recommend Harley Ensign DNR ramps at the end of South River Rd.

Both facilities offer lots of parking, big easy ramps and nice docks.
Downriver is a little closer but I can do either. I was looking at Lake Erie Metro Park first for that but yes I see a lot of shallow areas out of there on the charts. Looks worst than the FL Keys! I have seen the Harley Ensign ramp but is about 1hr+ and I guess it gets very busy. Also I don't like the single long little road to it. I guess I will have to give it a try. Thanks!
Pioneer180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #60
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 205
Default

I've only used the LEMP ramp once, and that was long ago. Back then they had a slimy ramp with no finger dock. That may have changed.

Yeah, it can get dicey downriver if you're not paying attention. The other issue (and I'll admit to being biased), there's more to do IMO in LSC.

Harley Ensign is my recommendation, but by far not the only option in the area. I don't think South River Rd will be a problem for you, esp since you've pulled your boat across the country.
RollerCoastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:11 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.