The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8
Default Intorduction

Hello all, I just logged in for the first time and thought I would introduce myself. I live near Columbus Ohio and fish Lake Erie as often as I can. Currently I'm fishing out of a 1980 Albemarle 24 hard top. Looks like a good forum and I look forward to getting to know some of you out on the water!
Reel Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Gibraltar, MI
Posts: 42
Default

Welcome, you have a great boat for the lake. There is some great information available on this site as with great members. This forum helps me cope with the cold months of the year. Not to mention it makes me extremely jealous of the southern boaters. There boats are fun to look at.
Monkey Business2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,178
Default

Welcome, I live east of you in Steubenville, Ohio. I have been fishing and boating Lake Erie for over 40 years. I have a place in Marblehead where I spend all of my money and most of my summer. You will find a wealth of knowledge here and if you have any questions. Just throw them out there and I'm sure someone here can answer it.
mkalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #4
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks everyone! Its gona be a long winter
Reel Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,138
Default

Drag,
welcome aboard. I'm formerly from Columbus but full time resident in Marblehead area now. Albermarle is a great boat! Do you trailer it up here?
Boataholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8
Default

I do. I hate it but I have not found a place I'm in love with to leave it at the lake yet. I used to trailer a smaller boat up there which wasn't so bad. The Albe is a big girl so I need to solve the which marina problem. And I'm jealous that you went from Col. to Marblehead lol.
Reel Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,178
Default

[QUOTE=Reel Drag;9767582]I do. I hate it but I have not found a place I'm in love with to leave it at the lake yet. I used to trailer a smaller boat up there which wasn't so bad. The Albe is a big girl so I need to solve the which marina problem. And I'm jealous that you went from Col. to Marblehead lol.[/QUOTE


I dock Tibbels Marina in Marblehead and they do have some seasonal docks available for next year. A 30' dock there will cost around $1000 for the season. You can spend more time on the water when you don't have tow and launch every time you want to go fishing. Great place great people. Bass Haven is a great place too. I'm biased I've been fishing out of Tibbels for 40 years.
mkalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 6,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Drag View Post
I do. I hate it but I have not found a place I'm in love with to leave it at the lake yet. I used to trailer a smaller boat up there which wasn't so bad. The Albe is a big girl so I need to solve the which marina problem. And I'm jealous that you went from Col. to Marblehead lol.
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of very experienced Lake Erie fishermen here.

What area would you like to dock at?

BTW: As others have said..............nice boat.
osudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 1,698
Default

Welcome Reel and that is a big boat to trailer from Columbus for sure.

Like Boataholic and mkalink, I dock in Marblehead (I'm jealous they live there). You should take a day to check out the marinas. I'm in Bass Haven myself but there are a number of nice ones up here.

I don't know about Tibbels but I know that Bass Haven is open during the winter (not sure about weekends though) if you want to take a ride to check things out when there is nothing to do this winter.

Both Tibbels and Bass Haven are on East Harbor. I don't know what your boat drafts but there is plenty of water in the channel out to the lake.
Walleye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:06 AM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8
Default

Regarding finding a marina to call home, water depth is always a concern. I use Fenwick at Turtle Creek at ice out. It can be a little scary on depth sometimes because the old Albemarle's dont have the ability to trim up because parts to keep the trim working are rare. Most who have them, have no trim. In summer I go east and put in at Lorain. Chasing the fish! lol. I would love to find a deep harbor in between where the run either way isn't to long. I also want a unicorn for Christmas. Good idea Walleye Guy to drive up this winter when cabin fever takes hold. I could have a good look around.

I forgot to mention that I start fishing as soon as the harbors are clear. I usually sleep/camp on the boat to save $$$ (which sometimes is not comfortable in the spring) so electric is a must have. thanks again for all the input!!!

Last edited by Reel Drag; 12-16-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Reel Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #11
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,138
Default

Any of the marina's in west or east harbor will give you pretty easy access to both the reef complex to the west and as far east as you wanna run (weather buoy, Vermilion etc) You are basically in the middle of a lot of good fishing with easy access to the Islands. I'm partial to Bass Haven but Tibbells is nice too (they have a ramp, Bass Haven does not).
Boataholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huron, Ohio, USA -
Posts: 1,222
Default Anchors Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Drag View Post
Regarding finding a marina to call home, water depth is always a concern. I use Fenwick at Turtle Creek at ice out. It can be a little scary on depth sometimes because the old Albemarle's dont have the ability to trim up because parts to keep the trim working are rare. Most who have them, have no trim. In summer I go east and put in at Lorain. Chasing the fish! lol. I would love to find a deep harbor in between where the run either way isn't to long. I also want a unicorn for Christmas. Good idea Walleye Guy to drive up this winter when cabin fever takes hold. I could have a good look around.

I forgot to mention that I start fishing as soon as the harbors are clear. I usually sleep/camp on the boat to save $$$ (which sometimes is not comfortable in the spring) so electric is a must have. thanks again for all the input!!!

Check out Anchors Away Marina at the end of route 269N. great location to fish East or West. http://www.anchorsawaymarina.com/
FreeByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,178
Default

I fish all over, coming out of east harbor I feel like I'm centrally located. I can be pretty much find fish all season long with in an hour boat tide. With the exception of Wheatley but it is only an hour and a half away as long as the lake cooperates. Plus when friends and family don't want to fish there are plenty of thing to do. Whether you head over to the islands or head over to Sandusky if the lake is nasty.
mkalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #14
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Near Columbus Ohio
Posts: 8
Default

Sounds awesome. Im ready now lol!
Reel Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Drag View Post
Sounds awesome. Im ready now lol!
Me too, I hate winter. I go into deep depression nov 1 and remain there till Apr 1.
mkalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #16
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Drag View Post
Hello all, I just logged in for the first time and thought I would introduce myself. I live near Columbus Ohio and fish Lake Erie as often as I can. Currently I'm fishing out of a 1980 Albemarle 24 hard top. Looks like a good forum and I look forward to getting to know some of you out on the water!
I love your boat!! The Albe's are great looking boats.

I live south of Toledo in Perrysburg and keep my boat @ Bass Haven Marina on East Harbor near Marblehead, I think I'm in my 15th season here. If you are ever thinking of docking your boat I cannot recommend a marina better than Bass Haven. There are a couple of guys on the forum that dock at Bass Haven and I think they will agree.

Do you have kids that fish with you? A little about Bass Haven, their bathroom and showers are the cleanest I have ever seen on the lake. They are so clean my wife even uses them! They have some covered areas with picnic tables that people gather around in the evenings. You can also use it for family and friends get together. Their fish cleaning building is the best on the lake too. They have 2 grills at the end of each channel that are cleaner than mine @ home. I used to spend the night on the boat a lot and there are usually a corn hole game or 2 going on in the evening. If you have kids the bluegill fishing at the dock is great plus they have swings, volleyball, basketball, horseshoes, etc. They also have an area for your dog to do their business.

I'm only telling you about Bass Haven because I wished I would have found them 40 years ago! I drove by the marina year after year but never drove back to see what they offer. Once I docked there for the first season I realized I wouldn't be happy anywhere else. The owners are great and Debbie in the office is the best. I work a lot of hours so I have the marina take care of putting my boat in and out, cleaning the bottom, and winterizing it....and I don't even need to be there which is huge for me.

www.basshaven.com

I have owned a boat and fished in Lake Erie for over 40 years, my current boat is a 28' Baha hardtop, docked @ Bass Haven dock# J33. If there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask. I know the good repair shops and the bad ones in the Port Clinton area so if you need help picking a repair shop talk to me.



Welcome to the board!

Russ

Last edited by RussH; 12-16-2016 at 09:51 PM.
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:37 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 1,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I love your boat!! The Albe's are great looking boats.

I live south of Toledo in Perrysburg and keep my boat @ Bass Haven Marina on East Harbor near Marblehead, I think I'm in my 15th season here. If you are ever thinking of docking your boat I cannot recommend a marina better than Bass Haven. There are a couple of guys on the forum that dock at Bass Haven and I think they will agree.

Do you have kids that fish with you? A little about Bass Haven, their bathroom and showers are the cleanest I have ever seen on the lake. They are so clean my wife even uses them! They have some covered areas with picnic tables that people gather around in the evenings. You can also use it for family and friends get together. Their fish cleaning building is the best on the lake too. They have 2 grills at the end of each channel that are cleaner than mine @ home. I used to spend the night on the boat a lot and there are usually a corn hole game or 2 going on in the evening. If you have kids the bluegill fishing at the dock is great plus they have swings, volleyball, basketball, horseshoes, etc. They also have an area for your dog to do their business.

I'm only telling you about Bass Haven because I wished I would have found them 40 years ago! I drove by the marina year after year but never drove back to see what they offer. Once I docked there for the first season I realized I wouldn't be happy anywhere else. The owners are great and Debbie in the office is the best. I work a lot of hours so I have the marina take care of putting my boat in and out, cleaning the bottom, and winterizing it....and I don't even need to be there which is huge for me.

www.basshaven.com

I have owned a boat and fished in Lake Erie for over 40 years, my current boat is a 28' Baha hardtop, docked @ Bass Haven dock# J33. If there is anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to ask. I know the good repair shops and the bad ones in the Port Clinton area so if you need help picking a repair shop talk to me.



Welcome to the board!

Russ
Walleye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 101
Default

Welcome aboard....a lot of experience and knowledge here without the crap you sometimes get on forums. Anyone here is willing to help out. I'd look at the marinas in West Harbor. It puts you in the middle of everything. Can run West to the reefs, North to Canada, or East out past Kelley's and as far as you want to go. I am in Foxhaven...GREAT marina and people....also has a quick, straight shot access to the lake at the northern end of the harbor.
Eriegardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #19
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriegardless View Post
Welcome aboard....a lot of experience and knowledge here without the crap you sometimes get on forums. Anyone here is willing to help out. I'd look at the marinas in West Harbor. It puts you in the middle of everything. Can run West to the reefs, North to Canada, or East out past Kelley's and as far as you want to go. I am in Foxhaven...GREAT marina and people....also has a quick, straight shot access to the lake at the northern end of the harbor.
Do you know Wojo or Billy D ? charter captains.
Boataholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Catawba Island, Ohio
Posts: 709
Default

Welcome! There are dozens of marinas from Port Clinton to Sandusky. I'd use the wqinter to scout out the different locations with there + & - 's. Prep yourself first with a chart or book on the various harbors then put together a list of things you'd like in a marina.
Catn TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.