The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #161
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Annapolis/ Islamorada
Posts: 2,020
Default

For $3000 or $14,000, I'd charter Capt. Mel on the Gotcha at Holiday Isle..you'll catch more wahoo and sails and have 1 hell of a meal at Morada Bay..lap dances all night at Woody's and call it a night!
superfishal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #162
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navatech View Post
If there's one take-away from the last election it's never say never...
Most likely they have considered it, asked around for some prices and were scared off... The "big boys" in IT have ludicrous rates...
With a population of under 400k people how difficult could it be for them to get a system in place? That's an entire country with 1/3 the population of palm beach county.
offtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #163
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 391
Default

Bahamas Customs already has an online system for clearing vessels entering the Bahamas, but the system can only be accessed by licensed Bahamian customs brokers.
Yamaha900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 AM   #164
Admirals Club
 
Navatech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami Gardens FL
Posts: 5,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha900 View Post
Bahamas Customs already has an online system for clearing vessels entering the Bahamas, but the system can only be accessed by licensed Bahamian customs brokers.
That would be for commercial vessels... Not the same thing as recreational vessels...
Navatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #165
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 391
Default

Actually they have all the forms on the website for pleasure vessels which can be filled out electronically and submitted online. I use the site to clear my incoming shipments. I will try to find out what the pleasure boat forms are there for.By the way it is for both boats and private aircraft.
Yamaha900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #166
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfishal View Post
For $3000 or $14,000, I'd charter Capt. Mel on the Gotcha at Holiday Isle..you'll catch more wahoo and sails and have 1 hell of a meal at Morada Bay..lap dances all night at Woody's and call it a night!

lol. Coolest thing about Woody's is their entire lineup has 1 full set of teeth.
offtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #167
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 734
Default

maybe I have been lucky last few times I have gone , but the woody's staff has improved a bunch over the past couple of years
mgrandu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #168
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 391
Default

I think this is a new 2017 New years resolution for them...
rcruz2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #169
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navatech View Post
Why would the US object?!...
Border security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWLoadie View Post
Looks tippy.
2muchcoffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #170
Admirals Club
 
Navatech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami Gardens FL
Posts: 5,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
Border security
How does entering the borders of the Bahamas influence US border security?!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
Looks tippy
Somebody had to say it...
Navatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #171
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navatech View Post
How does entering the borders of the Bahamas influence US border security?!...
If we expect other nations to respect our borders, we're kind of obligated to respect their borders. Part of border security is actually seeing the vessel or vehicle that's attempting to cross your borders, and having the opportunity to inspect it. The Bahamas are closer than some actual states (and have pretty loose borders already due to the whole chain-of-islands thing).

Remember the kind of people who have traditionally taken advantage of hard-to-secure Bahamaian borders (especially in the Cay Sal area), and remember some other people who might like to do the same thing.

I assume the only reason it hasn't been turned into a naval base is because it would make a mess of international relations. Hopefully the thaw with Cuba could allow for changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navatech View Post
Somebody had to say it...
I was surprised nobody'd gotten there before I did, but … y'know, it really does look tippy.
2muchcoffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #172
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,185
Default

Have you ever been there? There's nothing to build a naval base on.
Rod27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #173
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Sebastian Fl.
Posts: 89
Default Question.

Does anyone know if the center of the Melbourne Canyons( 27.58.50. 79.35.00)

is in the EEZ. ?
dolphin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #174
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malabar,FL
Posts: 1,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrandu1 View Post
maybe I have been lucky last few times I have gone , but the woody's staff has improved a bunch over the past couple of years
You've just drank enough
flntv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #175
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bluffton SC/Hillsboro Inlet
Posts: 1,526
Default

The Bahamians bust a few retards who didn't clear, now they should set up an internet check-in so the Keys boys can go rape and pillage. The fishing is awesome there for a reason, it is hard to get to legally.

How would the people in the Key's feel about the Bahamians fishing for lobster and conch in the Keys ?

Go and don't check in but stop whining if they catch you.
tuna921 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #176
Admirals Club
 
Navatech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami Gardens FL
Posts: 5,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
If we expect other nations to respect our borders, we're kind of obligated to respect their borders. Part of border security is actually seeing the vessel or vehicle that's attempting to cross your borders, and having the opportunity to inspect it. The Bahamas are closer than some actual states (and have pretty loose borders already due to the whole chain-of-islands thing).
Sorry... I don't see any "respect" issue... The Bahamas, as a sovereign nation, can do what they want... None of the US' business...

As for facilitating electronic filing, do I really need to explain why that would be better then the current paper based system?!... FYI, even the US has digitized the I-94... Visitors no longer need to fill out a paper form... As for actually seeing the vessel or vehicle that's attempting to cross your borders, the only place where that wouldn't happen the way I envisioned the system would be Cay Sal...

The trade off for the convenience would very harsh punishments (e.g. forfeiture of vessel, massive fines) for those who are found to be abusing the system...
Navatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #177
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 17,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod27 View Post
Have you ever been there? There's nothing to build a naval base on.
You have either never been there and are one of the keyboard cowboys trying to impress people, or if you have been there you have only seen a small portion of the Cay Sal Bank. Why do I say this? Because there is plenty of land to re-build the base that was there, even reusing some of the existing buildings.
First Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #178
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Light View Post
You have either never been there and are one of the keyboard cowboys trying to impress people, or if you have been there you have only seen a small portion of the Cay Sal Bank. Why do I say this? Because there is plenty of land to re-build the base that was there, even reusing some of the existing buildings.
All true, and would be a shame if anything was resurrected there because it's a beautiful part of the Bahamas, and relatively untouched.

The best option for the Bahamians would be to monitor the area remotely via drones and cameras...sad but true. I don't want to see it happen but what's the alternative?
offtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #179
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charleston, SC and New Smyrna, FL
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna921 View Post
The Bahamians bust a few retards who didn't clear, now they should set up an internet check-in so the Keys boys can go rape and pillage. The fishing is awesome there for a reason, it is hard to get to legally.

How would the people in the Key's feel about the Bahamians fishing for lobster and conch in the Keys ?

Go and don't check in but stop whining if they catch you.
Rape and Pillage? Are you thinking guys from the Keys are pirates and the got the scurvy?

Arrrrr maties onward to the Bahamas banks for an afternoon of fishing/rape and pillage. Provisional libations and fair maiden winches for all you Skallywags.

Avast ye no checking in!

Shiver me timbers
World Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #180
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Powers View Post
Rape and Pillage? Are you thinking guys from the Keys are pirates and the got the scurvy?

Arrrrr maties onward to the Bahamas banks for an afternoon of fishing/rape and pillage. Provisional libations and fair maiden winches for all you Skallywags.

Avast ye no checking in!

Shiver me timbers
He's right though!

Check in and go by their rules or risk fines and/or jail.

Why is this such a big deal? What if you were illegally hunting on someone's land? Same thing but you'd maybe end up with a bullet.
offtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.