The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Search

Notices

Random Quote: Give a man a fish, feed him once.... teach a man to fish, feed him for life!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2013, 06:59 PM
  #1    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ft. lauderdale, fl, usa
Posts: 2,952
Default Google tv/chromcast, anyone use it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Chromeca...cast&cp=1&lp=1

They seem to be out of stock everywhere and blowing up on eBay. Does anyone here have one, and does it work well?

Thanks,
__________________
Chris L.


Sailfish 206 w/ 150hpdi
ndb8fxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 AM
  #2    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 2,613
Send a message via MSN to keithelder Send a message via Skype™ to keithelder
Default

I think it is useless and pointless. Doesn't work with windows phones, I can stream any thing I want to my TV with my XBox including Amazon, Netfilx, Hulu, Comcast on demand, Youtube, etc.

It also, even though they didn't show it requires power and the streaming isn't that good reported by those that have it.
__________________
Join Gulf Coast Fishing Facebook Group
2007 Key West 2300 SS, Twin ETec 115's (Boat mods thread)
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.4 Diesel


Garmin 7212 Chart, GMR 18 HD Radar, VHF 300 AIS, GDL 40 Weather, GSD 22 Sounder, Fusion MS-IP700 Stereo w/ MS-NRX200 Remote
keithelder is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 AM
  #3    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bermuda & New Bern, NC
Posts: 526
Default

I ordered one from Amazon. Out of stock. Will let you know how it works when I recieve it.
edale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 PM
  #4    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ft. lauderdale, fl, usa
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithelder View Post
I think it is useless and pointless. Doesn't work with windows phones, I can stream any thing I want to my TV with my XBox including Amazon, Netfilx, Hulu, Comcast on demand, Youtube, etc.

It also, even though they didn't show it requires power and the streaming isn't that good reported by those that have it.
What I was looking to do is stream content from my computer (movies on a hard drive) to my TV. From my reading I should be able to do this, but I'm not sure.
__________________
Chris L.


Sailfish 206 w/ 150hpdi
ndb8fxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM
  #5    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 2,613
Send a message via MSN to keithelder Send a message via Skype™ to keithelder
Default

Been doing this so long with the Xbox I dont even think about it, plus I'm watching hd movie right now from amazon on it. Not $35 but you get what you pay for.
__________________
Join Gulf Coast Fishing Facebook Group
2007 Key West 2300 SS, Twin ETec 115's (Boat mods thread)
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.4 Diesel


Garmin 7212 Chart, GMR 18 HD Radar, VHF 300 AIS, GDL 40 Weather, GSD 22 Sounder, Fusion MS-IP700 Stereo w/ MS-NRX200 Remote
keithelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:48 AM
  #6    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 2,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb8fxe View Post
What I was looking to do is stream content from my computer (movies on a hard drive) to my TV. From my reading I should be able to do this, but I'm not sure.
I ordered it and then cancelled it on amazon. Just get a roku. You can find a good deal on the roku Xs for 50 bucks shipped if you look around. With Plex it will do all you want it to do.
jrolin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:46 AM
  #7    
Super Moderator
 
THT Mod 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In my mind
Posts: 3,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolin1 View Post
I ordered it and then cancelled it on amazon. Just get a roku. You can find a good deal on the roku Xs for 50 bucks shipped if you look around. With Plex it will do all you want it to do.
With plex?

n/m, googlefu got it for me.
__________________
THT Mod 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 AM
  #8    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bermuda & New Bern, NC
Posts: 526
Default

When in Bermuda Roku does not work. For my application, streaming from laptop to TV, I think it will be good. No X-box, wouldn't know how to work it. For the price I figured I will try it.
edale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 AM
  #9    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 369
Default

I got mine and it's awesome. Setup takes less then 5 minutes. It's still really new and there aren't a lot of apps for it but there is already a big following in the Android community. Full screen sharing from your computer/phone/tablet is already in the works. Right now watching Netflix couldn't be easier and streaming all my music to it the same. My only regret is not ordering one for each TV in the house. For $35 it simply can't be beat. If you have any questions let me know.
__________________
1974 MFG Super Caprice - Evinrude 115 ETEC
Mostly Harmless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 AM
  #10    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 272
Default

I use Googletv to stream from a NAS. Googletv works fine, the actual box I have was poorly designed.
WaterEnjoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 AM
  #11    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,040
Default

What does this do that Roku doesn't do (not being a wise-ass, I really want to know)...
__________________
Sea Hunt Gamefish 24

OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 AM
  #12    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ft. lauderdale, fl, usa
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithelder View Post
Been doing this so long with the Xbox I dont even think about it, plus I'm watching hd movie right now from amazon on it. Not $35 but you get what you pay for.
I just got an xbox a few days ago, but haven't messed with it. Are you saying that I can connect my computer (directly or wirelessly) to the xbox and play movies from the hard drive?
__________________
Chris L.


Sailfish 206 w/ 150hpdi
ndb8fxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM
  #13    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ft. lauderdale, fl, usa
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolin1 View Post
I ordered it and then cancelled it on amazon. Just get a roku. You can find a good deal on the roku Xs for 50 bucks shipped if you look around. With Plex it will do all you want it to do.
On the airplane that I fly we have a Mac Mini with movies and a wireless router that we connect ipads to. We use Plex to stream movies from the computer to the ipads (which is super cool for our passengers), but I don't see how this would work with a tv without another device, ie, chromecast. or another device.

I would set up the house in a similar way, but still don't know if I have what I need to stream to the TV. I thought that was what the Chromcast device is supposed to help with.

Like I said above that we just got an xbox, but I don't know much about it or gaming in general.
__________________
Chris L.


Sailfish 206 w/ 150hpdi
ndb8fxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 AM
  #14    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ft. lauderdale, fl, usa
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
What does this do that Roku doesn't do (not being a wise-ass, I really want to know)...
Hey Pete, I am not up to speed on most of these devices. I call myself 'entertainmently challenged.' I never spent much time in front of TV's or gaming stations so I don't know what Roku does nor how it might differ. What got my attention about Chromecast was it size and price.
__________________
Chris L.


Sailfish 206 w/ 150hpdi
ndb8fxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM
  #15    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 2,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb8fxe View Post
On the airplane that I fly we have a Mac Mini with movies and a wireless router that we connect ipads to. We use Plex to stream movies from the computer to the ipads (which is super cool for our passengers), but I don't see how this would work with a tv without another device, ie, chromecast. or another device.

I would set up the house in a similar way, but still don't know if I have what I need to stream to the TV. I thought that was what the Chromcast device is supposed to help with.

Like I said above that we just got an xbox, but I don't know much about it or gaming in general.
You run Plex on the Roku. Plus the Roku has many other channels available. The chromecast is a neat device mostly because of the price. The biggest drawback for me is the requirement to use my phone or ipad to control it. For example with the Roku I have a TWC channel since TWC is my cable and internet provider. I get the majority of cable channels in HD over the Roku without the need of another cable box. And I can use my universal remote to control it. Plus on the Roku with Plex, Amazon channel, etc. for only a few (15 bucks in my case) dollars more. I have three Rokus and one appletv.
jrolin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM
  #16    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 2,613
Send a message via MSN to keithelder Send a message via Skype™ to keithelder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb8fxe View Post
I just got an xbox a few days ago, but haven't messed with it. Are you saying that I can connect my computer (directly or wirelessly) to the xbox and play movies from the hard drive?
Sure any media you have on a computer you can share it to the Xbox.

Watch this video.


You can also install Xbox Smartglass and control your Xbox from your phone (or windows tablet, android, ipad, etc).

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/smartglass

The XBox basically runs all of our entertainment purposes. We stream Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, buy movies in HD on it, Comcast, Hulu, music show vacations to people that visit all from a shared server etc. Occassionally when I'm on vacation in the winter I buy a good game and don't take a shower for days playing it.
__________________
Join Gulf Coast Fishing Facebook Group
2007 Key West 2300 SS, Twin ETec 115's (Boat mods thread)
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.4 Diesel


Garmin 7212 Chart, GMR 18 HD Radar, VHF 300 AIS, GDL 40 Weather, GSD 22 Sounder, Fusion MS-IP700 Stereo w/ MS-NRX200 Remote
keithelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM
  #17    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ft. lauderdale, fl, usa
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithelder View Post
Sure any media you have on a computer you can share it to the Xbox.

Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwrwgYVPsHc

You can also install Xbox Smartglass and control your Xbox from your phone (or windows tablet, android, ipad, etc).

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/smartglass

The XBox basically runs all of our entertainment purposes. We stream Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, buy movies in HD on it, Comcast, Hulu, music show vacations to people that visit all from a shared server etc. Occassionally when I'm on vacation in the winter I buy a good game and don't take a shower for days playing it.
It looks like I have everything I need then. Just a couple of quick questions not covered in the video. How is the computer linked to the xbox? a cable or wireless? Remember I haven't really looked at the Xbox yet, but I didn't see an HDMI port on the Xbox so how are you connecting the Xbox to the tv?
__________________
Chris L.


Sailfish 206 w/ 150hpdi
ndb8fxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 AM
  #18    
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 2,613
Send a message via MSN to keithelder Send a message via Skype™ to keithelder
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb8fxe View Post
It looks like I have everything I need then. Just a couple of quick questions not covered in the video. How is the computer linked to the xbox? a cable or wireless? Remember I haven't really looked at the Xbox yet, but I didn't see an HDMI port on the Xbox so how are you connecting the Xbox to the tv?
I connect Xbox to TV via HDMI cable and then use WiFi for it to join the local network so it can then connect to the other PCs. If you just bought it it should have HDMI, if not then it will depend on which model you have.
__________________
Join Gulf Coast Fishing Facebook Group
2007 Key West 2300 SS, Twin ETec 115's (Boat mods thread)
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 6.4 Diesel


Garmin 7212 Chart, GMR 18 HD Radar, VHF 300 AIS, GDL 40 Weather, GSD 22 Sounder, Fusion MS-IP700 Stereo w/ MS-NRX200 Remote
keithelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM
  #19    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 2,749
Default

Here is a review of the chromecast.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-medi...-35823617.html
jrolin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM
  #20    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ft. lauderdale, fl, usa
Posts: 2,952
Default

Thanks!
__________________
Chris L.


Sailfish 206 w/ 150hpdi
ndb8fxe is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0