The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Search

Notices

Random Quote: Leave me alone!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
  #1    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,131
Default LED Flood Lights?

Anyone have or tried these type of flood lights?

My bro is thinking about redoing his dock lighting and was thinking about trying some LED flood lights instead of halogen.

Something like this: https://www.coast2coastlightingco.co...ode=SRLED-CA30

Any thoughts or anyone have any experience?
RightRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
  #2    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 14,975
Default

No

But 220 bucks for 120 watt equivilant light bulb at 30 watts. Sounds real pricey,,,,,
__________________
1st Cav Div Air Assault Infantry RVN
-Can Do........ and .......Carry On -
LI Sound Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
  #3    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 6,954
Default

No way
About a week ago I bought a 4 pack, don't remember the exact bulb type, the regular screw it type from Costco. They were outside LED flood lights equal to 150 watt bulb and drew watts. I paid $49.00
__________________
God doesn't bother me, his fan clubs do.
A mind is like a parachute, it only works when its open

I pride myself on being incorrigible. I have a very hard time being told what to do.

http://www.dvgrr.org/
http://www.wish.org
FASTFJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
  #4    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,131
Default

I wasn't so much talking cost because there are cheaper ones out there if need be.
I was mainly curious about overall quality,longevity, brightness compared to halogen, etc.

Would they hold up on a dock environment with salt air?

Just wondering if anyone has tried them their dock.
RightRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM
  #5    
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Posts: 8,179
Default

Tell him to put up a 70 or 100W metal halide floodlight...then spend the money he saved on beer for a dock party.
IMO, LED fixtures are a waste of money in most situations...and I sell them.
LED fixtures are 5-1 ratio when replacing HID or incandescent. 30 watts of LED are about as bright as 150 watts of incandescent or HID.
You'll get about 50,000 hours of average life from a typical LED fixture. Once it's burned out, you replace the fixture. A HID fixture has a replaceable lamp and ballast.
Most of these fixtures have aluminum housings that are enameled or powder-coated; they hold up well in a saltwater environment.
__________________

1988 Black Watch 30 Express

Last edited by Wolakrab; 03-12-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Wolakrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
  #6    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightRigger View Post
Anyone have or tried these type of flood lights?

My bro is thinking about redoing his dock lighting and was thinking about trying some LED flood lights instead of halogen.

Something like this: https://www.coast2coastlightingco.co...ode=SRLED-CA30

Any thoughts or anyone have any experience?
look for the same light on ebay for 1/4 the price.....
JoseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:46 PM
  #7    
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolakrab View Post
Tell him to put up a 70 or 100W metal halide floodlight...then spend the money he saved on beer for a dock party.
IMO, LED fixtures are a waste of money in most situations...and I sell them.
LED fixtures are 5-1 ratio when replacing HID or incandescent. 30 watts of LED are about as bright as 150 watts of incandescent or HID.
You'll get about 50,000 hours of average life from a typical LED fixture. Once it's burned out, you replace the fixture. A HID fixture has a replaceable lamp and ballast.
Most of these fixtures have aluminum housings that are enameled or powder-coated; they hold up well in a saltwater environment.

That's the type of info I was looking for.


Thank you!!
RightRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM
  #8    
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,340
Default

My company makes LED light fixtures. Energy saving is about 2/3 less, our fixtures are rated at 60000 hours continuous use which is equal to almost 7 years. And that doesn't mean that the LED's will stop working at 60000 hours, they could continue to work for 25 more years.

Depending on how the LED's are spaced/directed on the array LED's don't spread light out like halogen, it's a more directed light. It will be very bright right under the fixture but not much light spread outside of that. We space our LED's to spread the light out from under the fixture.

Russ
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 AM
  #9    
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1
Default

Planing to buy 140W LED Floodlight from http://www.lightingnext.com/140w-hig...t-fixture.html . They're claiming a life of >50k hrs which equates to over 5.5 Yrs of contant use!?Anybody used any yet?
My main query is... should I buy one and it not work after a year, is it a replacement unit or do you replace the LED's?
kathy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:01 AM
  #10    
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Posts: 8,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy82 View Post
Planing to buy 140W LED Floodlight from http://www.lightingnext.com/140w-hig...t-fixture.html . They're claiming a life of >50k hrs which equates to over 5.5 Yrs of contant use!?Anybody used any yet?
My main query is... should I buy one and it not work after a year, is it a replacement unit or do you replace the LED's?
You cannot replace the LED's. You'll have to replace the entire fixture. See my earlier post. You can buy a 150 watt Metal Halide fixture for less than half of what the LED fixture costs.
Don't waste your money.
__________________

1988 Black Watch 30 Express
Wolakrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:40 AM
  #11    
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kent Narrows, MD
Posts: 6,209
Default

I replaced a 500W Halogen Flood with a similar 30W LED Flood and a very high quality motion sensor. It does not provide the same light output as the halogen, but enough for the area including a BB court that it illuminates

I also replaced all of my 90W halogen flood lamps with 17W LED floods and they do a much better job. The flood style gives a wider beam than the halogen

IMO LED will replace all other lighting technologies
__________________


3070 Pursuit Offshore CC, Twin Yam F225
Click here to view
Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 AM
  #12    
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plympton, MA
Posts: 1,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightRigger View Post
That's the type of info I was looking for.


Thank you!!
Only "issue" with metal halide would be the need to warm up for maximum light output and to cool down before the light "turns on" after turning it off. To kind of explain better, if he goes to turn his light on to quickly run out, the light may take upwards of 3-5 minutes to emit light, then after he turns it off, if he immediately turns it back on the light will have to cool down and then restart its cycle.

Metal halides are great lights, but certainly not the kind of light you'd want for quick reaction to power or motion sensors.
burtonboards32 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 



©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0